surgical residency (UK or Ireland)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zade

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm on my 4th and last year of med school in the Philippines and I was thinking about doing my residency elsewhere. How does a FMG apply for residency in the UK or Ireland? I'm thinking of taking up plastic surgery. Is it hard to get in, especially for surgery? Also, how many years does it take? Any info would be greatly appreciated... :)

Members don't see this ad.

It's pretty much the same system in both Ireland and the UK. First of all you need to be eligible for full registration with the Irish Medical Council or else the GMC in the UK -ie- your medical degree is recognised and your internship is recognised.

Surgical training in UK/Ireland is in two parts. Basical Surgical Training (BST) which takes 2 years and culminates in a multi-part exam known as the MRCS (Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons). It's an intercollegiate exam now and is common to the Royal Surgical Colleges in Ireland, Scotland, England etc.

One you've passed the MRCS, you go on to Higher Surgical Training (HST) in the area of surgery you want to practice in -eg- general, plastics, cardiothoracic, urology, paediatric etc etc. Depending on the specialty, it usually takes about another 5 years and culminates in the FRCS exam (Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons).

Getting into a HST scheme is competitive and it's nice if you've done some research and written up an MD, got some papers published.

Google the Royal College of Surgeons of England for a start....

Firstly, your degree from a medical school in the Philippines may not be viewed as adequate by the General Medical Council in Ireland to allow you to work as a physician. You need to look into this. The regulations in the UK are different from Ireland and you need to research that also.

Secondly, and of more importance, why would you want to do your surgical training in Ireland? Traditionally, medical graduates from the Philippines that wish to undertake residency training elsewhere, go to the US. You are most probably eligible, as long as you pass the USMLEs (provided that you are graduating from a reputable medical school in the Philippines). Also, you will more than likely receive better surgical training in the US. You will probably spend more time starting IV lines and charting medications in your first few years of surgical training than you will operating, in Ireland. And by operating, I don't mean just holding retractors and adjusting the lights. By the way, are interns even allowed to go in the OR in Ireland??? The approach to surgical training is much different in the US, more 'hands on'.

thanks for the replies...actually, applying for residency in the US is still my top option. I'm just looking at the alternatives out there, especially since my sister is already studying in the UK. thanks for the info again!