AQ888

2+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2016
Status
MD/PhD Student
Hello Everyone,

I am primarily interested in surgical retina with some side interest in ocular oncology (Not enough to do 2 separate fellowships). Are there any specific programs that provide a decent oncology exposure during the 2 year VR fellowship? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Slide

Finally, no more "training"
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Assuming your interest is in retinochoroidal tumors (melanomas, Mets, hemangioma, etc), any place with a full time ocular oncologist will give you good exposure and training. It’s hard to say what exposure you’ll get specifically because it’s attending dependent. My fellowship (UVA) Attending gave me great onc training because he was both retina and once trained. Other places off the top of my head include NYEEI, Vandy, Ohio, UCLA, and Duke, but I’m sure there are more.

Reactions: AQ888

Baller2016

2+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2016
Iowa and Wills both have dedicated retina faculty that are oncology trained! If you work under them, and you will, you will get plenty of oncology exposure as a trained vitreoretinal surgeon. Plenty of great programs!

Reactions: AQ888
About the Ads

doctortom

10+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Simply having an ocular oncology service does not guarantee good oncology training in VR fellowship. There are several programs with separate VR and ocular oncology fellowships. In such programs, you may need to carve out time to get good oncology exposure.

Reactions: Equality and AQ888

Equality

10+ Year Member
May 7, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Wills retina people almost never primarily manage Onc cases because the Onc division has such a strong presence.

Iowa retina fellows get involved in plaques. At least two Iowa retina faculty members are Onc trained.

SoWon

5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2013
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
USF in Tampa has a physician who does plaques. They take one fellow every 2 years.

interferometer

2+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2017
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Wills fellows have 1 day a week in Shields clinic. No direct ocular oncology patient management.

About the Ads