Surgical Retina Programs with Oncology Exposure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AQ888

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am primarily interested in surgical retina with some side interest in ocular oncology (Not enough to do 2 separate fellowships). Are there any specific programs that provide a decent oncology exposure during the 2 year VR fellowship? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming your interest is in retinochoroidal tumors (melanomas, Mets, hemangioma, etc), any place with a full time ocular oncologist will give you good exposure and training. It’s hard to say what exposure you’ll get specifically because it’s attending dependent. My fellowship (UVA) Attending gave me great onc training because he was both retina and once trained. Other places off the top of my head include NYEEI, Vandy, Ohio, UCLA, and Duke, but I’m sure there are more.

Reactions: 1 user
Iowa and Wills both have dedicated retina faculty that are oncology trained! If you work under them, and you will, you will get plenty of oncology exposure as a trained vitreoretinal surgeon. Plenty of great programs!

Members don't see this ad :)
Simply having an ocular oncology service does not guarantee good oncology training in VR fellowship. There are several programs with separate VR and ocular oncology fellowships. In such programs, you may need to carve out time to get good oncology exposure.

Reactions: 1 users
Wills retina people almost never primarily manage Onc cases because the Onc division has such a strong presence.

Iowa retina fellows get involved in plaques. At least two Iowa retina faculty members are Onc trained.

USF in Tampa has a physician who does plaques. They take one fellow every 2 years.

Wills fellows have 1 day a week in Shields clinic. No direct ocular oncology patient management.

In addition to the programs listed above, UAB-RCA has great onc exposure. Dr. John Mason, who trained at Wills, does all the plaques in the state. So when you work with him, which is about 1/3 of the time, you get to evaluate the range of ocular oncology patients in his clinic and get decent experience placing plaques.

Vandy has Retina-Onc person who is quite busy with both Retina (MEEI) and Onc (Sloan-Kettering) training.
UVA also has Onc /Retina. Smaller program, but decent experience with Onc.

You might want to look into the above as well

I believe Medical College of Wisconsin, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and UCLA all offer good oncology exposure during retina fellowship.

Stanford as well
Also... cincinatti. The new onc guy is bascom Retina, Wills onc, all around good dude, likes to teach and has a chaired position so likely not going anywhere for some time. I don’t know how much he teaches the fellow, but cincinatti is already a strong program and his addition just ups their value