Surgical Skills Internship or Clinical Research Internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member168

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I am currently a graduating high school senior with a tough decision on my hand. I have been accepted to two very competitive programs: a cardiac surgical skills internship at Stanford and a clinical research program at UCSF sponsored by the Arthritis Foundation. My background includes basic cardiac stem cell research last summer and volunteering at senior/children health care centers. I do not yet have any hospital experience.

Stanford Cardiac Surgical Skills Internship
*High School Seniors + College Pre-Meds
*Teaches heart anatomy & physiology + hands-on knot tying & suturing
*Very unique (I assume) especially for high-school graduates

Arthritis Foundation-sponsored UCSF clinical research
*High School Juniors, Seniors, + College Undergraduates
*Clinical translational/epidemiological (patient outcomes oriented) research
*Establish a professor relationship for future summer research

I would really like to join the surgical skills internship as it will help me get a taste what it's like to be a surgeon. On the other hand, I also really like the UCSF research opportunity because I could get some clinical experience and probably secure a research position for when I return next summer. (I'm not, however, sure if the clinical research entails working directly with patients or just analyzing collected data...)

Please weigh in with your opinions on which program I should attend. For those who suggest just relaxing this summer... I am truly passionate about these two programs so please help me decide as best you can. All input is welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So, pay $3000 or get paid up to $2000...easy choice.

If you want to see what cardiothoracic surgery is like, spend some time shadowing some of your local surgeons. If you still like it, there will be plenty of time to learn suturing later.

Getting involved in research as an undergraduate is important, and it sounds like the UCSF program will best prepare you for future opportunities.

I would really like to join the surgical skills internship as it will help me get a taste what it's like to be a surgeon.

Learning surgical skills will not show you what it's like to be a surgeon. There's more to surgery than the cutting and knot tying.

Do the research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Want to know what it is like to be a surgeon? Set your alarm clock for 4:30 a.m. Get up, shower, dress and go out the door. Every.day. So, you'll be a bit early for school, but you'll know what it is like to be a surgeon. :rolleyes:

Surgery camp? I think they'll teach you how to suture just fine in medical school. Will you actually be paying for this? Does it qualify you to do anything? It sounds like they're trying to gouge you.

Research will actually look impressive if you stick with it and produce something, and will hopefully cultivate some useful skills: whether soft skills as an experimenter or hard skills as a research assistant.

Last edited:
Want to know what it is like to be a surgeon? Set your alarm clock for 4:30 a.m. Get up, shower, dress and go out the door. Every.day. So, you'll be a bit early for school, but you'll know what it is like to be a surgeon. :rolleyes:
I woke up at 3 on my surgery rotation and didn't go to bed until usually 9 or 10. I propose that for the alarm clock setting ;).

Research, research, research. The surgical skills internship sounds cool but is kind of useless when it comes to admissions.

Research. If you're productive and continue something more long-term (as an incoming freshman), the research will provide you with far more benefits than learning how to tie knots would.

Only do the surgical skills thing if you absolutely, positively cannot live without learning how to tie knots (a useless skill that you'll quickly forget at this stage in your life/career). Otherwise, the research gig >>>>>>>>>>>>>> the surgical skills internship.

So, pay $3000 or get paid up to $2000...easy choice.

If you want to see what cardiothoracic surgery is like, spend some time shadowing some of your local surgeons. If you still like it, there will be plenty of time to learn suturing later.

Getting involved in research as an undergraduate is important, and it sounds like the UCSF program will best prepare you for future opportunities.

I agree.

Research > Learning "surgical skills" as a graduating high school senior.

...lol.