Surgical specialties were the most competitive in 2014 match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

womp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Percent of Unmatched US Seniors in 2014:

Neurosurg: 17.7%
ENT: 17.6%
Plastics: 17.3%
Ortho: 17.1%
--
Derm: 9.1%
Gen Surg: 8.7%
OBGYN: 7.1%
Rad Onc: 6.0%
Psych: 3.6%
EM: 3.4%
Family Med: 3.1%
Peds: 3.0%
Neurology: 2.6%
IM: 2.0%
Anesthesia: 2.0%
Radiology: 1.0%

Obviously there are other factors such as average test scores and self-selection that can confound the numbers above (say family med versus radiology), but none of the top 4 surgical subspecialties have low average Step 1 scores either.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2014 unmatched by specialties.gif
    2014 unmatched by specialties.gif
    56 KB · Views: 133
Percent of Unmatched US Seniors in 2014:

Neurosurg: 17.7%
ENT: 17.6%
Plastics: 17.3%
Ortho: 17.1%
--
Derm: 9.1%
Gen Surg: 8.7%
OBGYN: 7.1%
Rad Onc: 6.0%
Psych: 3.6%
EM: 3.4%
Family Med: 3.1%
Peds: 3.0%
Neurology: 2.6%
IM: 2.0%
Anesthesia: 2.0%
Radiology: 1.0%

Obviously there are other factors such as average test scores and self-selection that can confound the numbers above (say family med versus radiology), but none of the top 4 surgical subspecialties have low average Step 1 scores either.
Urology and Ophtho are probably well up there too, comparable with ENT.

Rads has been the least competitive specialty by % applicants unmatched and by % spots empty for at least 3 years running, at what point do we call it a trend instead of a fluke?

Reactions: 1 users
Urology and Ophtho are probably well up there too, comparable with ENT.
You're right. Urology and Ophtho are not in the main NRMP match so not included, but would certainly be in the top 6.

Rads has fallen off the cliff. At what point will that specialty start reducing residency spots?

I would be interested to see a trended graph through the past 5-10 years. Anyone know if that is available?

Rads has been the least competitive specialty by % applicants unmatched and by % spots empty for at least 3 years running, at what point do we call it a trend instead of a fluke?

I think it's already a trend rather a fluke. Rads job market is in terrible shape.

I would be interested to see a trended graph through the past 5-10 years. Anyone know if that is available?
The NRMP does provide various graphs of some numbers longitudinally, but not this particular measure.

If you wanted to just check out the numbers yourself... http://www.nrmp.org/match-data/main-residency-match-data/ has the results and data for the 2014 and 2013 matches.

http://www.nrmp.org/match-data/nrmp-historical-reports/ has 1984-2012.

You're welcome to open all the PDFs and put the data together into a graph over time if you want.

I think it's already a trend rather a fluke. Rads job market is in terrible shape.
How Competitive Is the Match for Radiology Residency? Present View and Historical Perspective
Chen J, Heller M
Journal of the American College of Radiology, May 2014

Purpose
Interest in radiology as a career among US medical students has changed. The aim of this study was to investigate the recent and historical trends in residency applications and how they have affected competitiveness in obtaining a position.

Methods
Statistics published by the National Resident Matching Program in “Results and Data: Main Residency Match” for 1991 to 2013 were analyzed.

Results
The number of radiology residency positions has trended upward over the past 23 years; however, the number of applicants from US medical schools has been widely variable. The number of applicants peaked in 2009 but has since decreased every year. The number of positions per US senior applicant (PPUSA) is a judge of specialty competitiveness on a supply-and-demand basis. A lower PPUSA indicates a more competitive specialty. Radiology saw its most competitive year in 2001, with only 0.91 PPUSA. PPUSA has been on the rise every year since 2009. From 2009 to 2013, the number of residency positions increased by 56, but there were 241 fewer US senior medical students preferring radiology. In 2013, there were 1,143 residency positions available for only 845 US senior medical students who preferred the specialty. The PPUSA was 1.35, making 2013 the least competitive year in obtaining a radiology residency position since 1998. Over the past 23 years, 5.5% of all US senior medical students have applied to radiology for residency. Interest reached an all-time high in 2009, at almost 7%. In 2013, only 4.8% of all US seniors preferred radiology, the lowest since 1999. The historical (1991–2013), current (2011–2013), and most recent (2013) PPUSAs for radiology were 1.19, 1.29, and 1.35, respectively. For comparison, the current PPUSAs for the following specialties were: 0.74 for plastic surgery, 0.83 for orthopedic surgery, 0.95 for dermatology, 1.10 for general surgery, 1.24 for obstetrics and gynecology, 1.31 for anesthesiology, 1.42 for pediatrics, and 1.80 for internal medicine (1.80).

Conclusions
Although radiology residency positions have continued to increase, interest among US seniors has dropped every year since 2009. The 2013 match was the least competitive since 1998. Over the past 3 years, the competitiveness of matching radiology on a supply-and-demand basis has been close to that of obstetrics and gynecology and anesthesiology.

http://www.jacr.org/article/S1546-1440(13)00766-7/abstract?cc=y?cc=y

The problem with this logic is the false assumption that the applicant pools are the same. Look at the charting outcomes in the match 2011 (and the next one due out soon) and you can see that there are remarkable differences in the pool. People tend to reach more for surgical subs than for derm, for example. I'm not sure why it matters but I guess I'm not surprised that a surgeon who wants to feel special doesn't understand statistics.

Most people in competitive fields are just glad to do them, not busy littering sdn with this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

This is a little misleading. I think that the data the OP posted refers only to applicants that ONLY applied to those specialties. For example, the Plastics unmatched % is listed at 17.3%, but other data in the same report indicates that there were 130 positions and 207 people who listed it as either their 1st choice or only choice, indicating that ~40% of people who wanted to match Plastics didn't match Plastics. A significant portion of these people had back-up specialties, and only the people who were confident in their ability to match Plastics applied to Plastics as their only choice. http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2014.pdf (see pages 35-36)

Since the Urology match is for Urology only, it's hard to know how many of those 32% who failed to match in Urology also applied to Gen Surg, so you're not really comparing apples to apples.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users