surgical specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflower79

Plays well with knives
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi SDNers,

The other day I watched a knee surgery in person and *loved* it -- helping someone doesn't get anymore hands on than that! (It also helps that I like anatomy) On the other hand, I want to talk to patients more than just pre- and post-op. Are there surgical specialties where you can both cut and manage patients?

peace :)
~sunflower

Members don't see this ad.

sunflower79 said:
hi SDNers,

Are there surgical specialties where you can both cut and manage patients?

peace :)
~sunflower

Hmmm...all of them? Surgeons are not only required to have the technical expertise but also to manage their surgical and medical issues both pre and post op. Granted there are some hospitals where nearly every medical issue is consulted out, but most places the surgeon does everything (within reason and scope of practice) from tea to toast.

Members don't see this ad :)
TONS of patient management. The pre-op evaluation often involves several office visits, and the post op period can involve many visits also. Plus the patients who stay in the hospital, including very critically ill ones if you choose to do more complex operations on more complex patients or if you take care of trauma patients. As a surgical resident I spend a good part of each day talking to patients and their families in the hospitals and in the clinics. It's the same medical problems medicine doctors deal with, but the treatments are surgical not medical. That's why we're so busy b/c we have to take care of our patients just the same as other doctors do, but we also spend most of our days in the OR as well, so there's a lot to get done in a day!

ENT, urology and ophthamology seems to fit your criteria...you can cut/operate and manage the patient medically.

Transplant-- surgery with continuity of care-- you will be seeing patients long after their transplant to check up on them, etc. The subspecialties also work: urology, OB/GYN For sure, optho, ENT [esp head and neck cancer], pediatric surgery.

what about general surgery in terms of pre and post-op?

calstudent said:
what about general surgery in terms of pre and post-op?

General surgery residents take care of more patients in an ICU setting than medicine residents. Fewer surgical residents and more ICU patients is why. Typicaly, it is the chief resident who maks all the decisions for the ICU patients there.... including all of their "medical issues", a surgical resident can deal with complicated patients, sepsis, shock, renal disease, pulmonary embolus, etc.

They are usually quicker to realize the patient is crashing or not doing well.