Surgical Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

styphon

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What training do you need to be a surgical tech? What do they do?

Members don't see this ad.

<a href="http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos106.htm" target="_blank">Here</a> is the link to the information from the Occupational Outlook Handbook. Also check with the <a href="http://www.ast.org" target="_blank">Association of Surgical Technologists</a> website.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by styphon:
•What training do you need to be a surgical tech? What do they do?•••••I'm not sure what the licenses are called exactly. Most have licenses, the kind that require ~6 months or more to get. However, I had a friend in undergrad who was an OR surg tech for a summer, took a lot of persuading to get them to hire him though.

Surgical techs do a lot of things. Some work in sterilization. Others prep up surgery packages, and attend the operating room. Others stock all day (and still others re-stock unused items). Every job is very important, so experience and licensure training are usually required.

If you're looking for med exp, you can often start out by volunteering with sterility control, stocking surgical equipment. You won't find yourself chatting with the surgery house officer much, but you'll get a feel of the OR atmosphere is like. And you'll get to scrub in. :)

hey there...

ive been working as a surgical tech every summer for the past five years and for about a year now since i graduated last may. its a really fun job. i help open the operating room for each case, scrub in, set up the sterile field, and then pass instruments. the experience has proven invaluable for my application to med school. the exposure i got and contacts i met have been unparalleled. it keeps me really motivated and is constantly stimulating.

our hospital used to require the one year training program from a community college, but i was grandfathered in and got on-the-job training. the training program rule has since been waived, but it is still preferred. operating room experience is almost always required, but i got in because my mom works in the OR. if you can get in, i highly recommend the job.

atyourcervix :wink: