Surgicalist(?) Lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Telekinesis

Gig 'Em
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard about this job function browsing these forums and I was wanting more information. Similar to how IM have hospitalist I was wondering how the typical surgicalist lifestyle is. Is it similar to a hospitalist?

Members don't see this ad.

Also wondering this. Is it more competetive if one chose to do the surgical hospitalist route? I cant seem to find alot of info on this topic.

I can't comment on how other practices operate but I'm an acute care surgeon with http://www.emcare.com/ and can shed some light on this. Generally the schedule is 1 week on followed by 1 week off. If you have some life events you can make specific requests which will more than likely be accommodated. The schedules are made a quarter at a time a few months in advance so you can make plans. Travel may be involved but generally the practice tries to avoid travelling since this drives up costs as your travel expenses are covered. When you are on you may be assigned to take call at 1 or more low acuity hospitals (level 3 trauma or non-designated) or at one of their higher acuity level 2 trauma hospitals. Level 3 hospitals are covered 24/7 by the assigned surgeon with backup if needed. Level 2 hospitals are covered as 12 hr shifts 7a-7p/7p-7a in house and you are either the day guy or night guy. There's backup if needed. At most hospitals we have midlevel help during the day. They help with rounds and assist with cases. Typical day for me when I'm on at a level 3 hospital starts around 10-11am when I meet my midlevel for rounds. It is unusual to have a census of more than 7 and more than 2 add-on cases so I usually just add cases on for 11am unless they need to be done more urgently in which case they either get done at the time of consult or as a 7am case. I'm usually done with my day by 2-3pm.

Clinic is once a week and is staffed by the on call surgeons and midlevels in the area. We usually have 2-3 surgeons and 2-3 midlevels present and finish before lunch. When you are off you are off. There are no admin or other responsibilities.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't comment on how other practices operate but I'm an acute care surgeon with http://www.emcare.com/ and can shed some light on this. Generally the schedule is 1 week on followed by 1 week off. If you have some life events you can make specific requests which will more than likely be accommodated. The schedules are made a quarter at a time a few months in advance so you can make plans. Travel may be involved but generally the practice tries to avoid travelling since this drives up costs as your travel expenses are covered. When you are on you may be assigned to take call at 1 or more low acuity hospitals (level 3 trauma or non-designated) or at one of their higher acuity level 2 trauma hospitals. Level 3 hospitals are covered 24/7 by the assigned surgeon with backup if needed. Level 2 hospitals are covered as 12 hr shifts 7a-7p/7p-7a in house and you are either the day guy or night guy. There's backup if needed. At most hospitals we have midlevel help during the day. They help with rounds and assist with cases. Typical day for me when I'm on at a level 3 hospital starts around 10-11am when I meet my midlevel for rounds. It is unusual to have a census of more than 7 and more than 2 add-on cases so I usually just add cases on for 11am unless they need to be done more urgently in which case they either get done at the time of consult or as a 7am case. I'm usually done with my day by 2-3pm.

Clinic is once a week and is staffed by the on call surgeons and midlevels in the area. We usually have 2-3 surgeons and 2-3 midlevels present and finish before lunch. When you are off you are off. There are no admin or other responsibilities.

Great post. How competitive is it to find a job as what you described?

Private practice jobs aren't competitive in the same sense as medical school and residency. It's more about being willing to live in the area, accept the terms of employment, not have a personality clash and for this particular job not be afraid of sick trauma.

Reactions: 1 user
This sounds like a pretty good schedule. Are these jobs becoming more common as more ppl value time with their family? And does it prevent burnout?

Last edited:
Are these jobs becoming more common as more ppl value time with their family?

That is a strange way to word it. It's not like other surgeons do not value time with family. The appeal appears to be control over one's time, stable revenue and fewer hassles when it comes to managing the back office. I am not aware of any numbers but the feeling out there is that this is becoming a popular model.

And does it prevent burnout?

Burnout among trauma surgeons has been documented to be on the high side. Search pubmed for the paper. I am not aware of any data that teases out these newer employment models. Frankly, I'm a little bored. I have a few ideas for building a practice within the practice that I will begin working on once I finish boards this month. If that doesn't pan out I may find a second job, maybe in something unrelated.