Surgically oriented FPs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leukocyte

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I admit that FM is not my "cup of tea". I love surgery. I always wanted to be a surgeon. All my LORs in med school are from surgeons. Yet I am now in a FM residency. I am an IMG with average usmle's. Tried twice to apply to GS, but only landed few preliminary interviews. Considering that I am an IMG who has been out of school for 2 years now, I decided to play it safe and join a solid categorical FM program over doing prelim sx with no gurantees. I am thinking of applying to gs programs after finishing my FM residency (if i still have energy left).

To cut a long story short...my question is this;

-Can a FP establish a surgically oriented practice doing herians, GB, appys.... all day every day?

-If it is possible, where can he/she get that type of training after residency?

Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

I admit that FM is not my "cup of tea". I love surgery. I always wanted to be a surgeon. All my LORs in med school are from surgeons. Yet I am now in a FM residency. I am an IMG with average usmle's. Tried twice to apply to GS, but only landed few preliminary interviews. Considering that I am an IMG who has been out of school for 2 years now, I decided to play it safe and join a solid categorical FM program over doing prelim sx with no gurantees. I am thinking of applying to gs programs after finishing my FM residency (if i still have energy left).

To cut a long story short...my question is this;

-Can a FP establish a surgically oriented practice doing herians, GB, appys.... all day every day?

-If it is possible, where can he/she get that type of training after residency?

Thank You.

I know of one FM graduate who successfully pursued surgery after graduating in FM and she is doing great. The down side, as you know, youre gonna be a resident for another 5 years and thats hard to swallow. Although its not the norm you can still do it and I think you gotta follow your gut.

As far as FM, many I have talked to say that rural fellowships are gaining in popularity recently. They can train you to do some of these procedures on an emergent basis. In some of these rural towns you may be the only one available to do an appy...but it is very unlikely you will be doing surgical procedures all the time as an FM.

Good Luck.

At our residency, we have the option to be trained in c-sections and many rural areas will allow you to perform them. It's not all day, every day surgery, but it's an option. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
in rural areas there are certainly FPs who do general surgery. For example there are FP in Arkansas (southern arkansas which is rural) that pretty much only do general surgeries (Appys, Cholecystectomies...)

i think practicing surgery only as an FM doc would be uncommon. i guess u should look into the rural thing as ppl have suggested. but of course, u have to consider if the rural atmosphere is something u would be happy with.