stimulus package
Dec 8, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
my name is similarly hard to pronounce/long. i would never change it. it is part of my identity. i also don't plan on changing it when i get married. that's me, though. if you are not seriously connected to your name like i am, maybe you should change it. plenty of doctors with long/confusing last names go by the initial.

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
you'll probably just go by doc to your patients

starl3tte

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I recently looked into a related matter - not to shorten my surname, but to add my mother's maiden name to what is already a very common surname. After doing some research on my own, here are the logistical/financial issues that I uncovered (keep in mind that this applies to CA):
- need to file Petition for Change of Name at courthouse in the county that one resides, filing fee of $355
- if approved, judge signs Order to Show Cause for Change of Name and gives hearing date
- copy of Order to Show Cause must be published at least once a week for 4 successive weeks prior to date of hearing in country newspaper (my local newspaper said it'd cost roughly $380)
- if approved, Decree Changing Name is signed at time of hearing

After that, you can begin to change your passport, driver's license and car registration, social security card, voter's registration, bank accounts. If you own any property, additional appropriate changes need to be made. For some of these changes, there will be additional costs. Hope I got this right.

orthomyxo

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
That would be so lame. My last name is also Italian and hard to pronounce, but I would never change it for anything. EVER.

Zona Pellucida

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Italian names FTW. Also have an italian surname but it is not lengthy. I say keep it.. it's unique. You can always just tell future patients to call you "Dr. B" or something like that. Not a huge deal :thumbup:

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This is silly. Keep your name unless it's Mussolini. Just tell your patients/staff/coworkers to call you an abbreviated version if they can't pronounce it.

CaliGirl14

No worries.
Removed
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2009
Change your last name to McDreamy...so they can call you Dr. McDreamy...

or on a more serious note: Dr. Roseti sounds goods to me.

Trust me, your last name isn't has half bad as my ugly last name.

stimulus package
Dec 8, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Change your last name to McDreamy...so they can call you Dr. McDreamy...

or on a more serious note: Dr. Roseti sounds goods to me.

Trust me, your last name isn't has half bad as my ugly last name.

are you going to be dr. poopsmith?

ResIpsaLoquitur

7+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field], Post Doc
I worked with a Dr Vuvetichich...all of us and his patients called him Dr Vee. It would be a lame, and costly reason to change a name because it was difficult for your patients.

PS: Someone once suggested that a certain 'Barack H Obama' should change his name so that voters could relate to him otherwise he stood no chance of getting elected to any political office...get my point???

Dr Pennypacker

Removed
Apr 12, 2010
Status
Podiatrist
Nah you definitely need to keep your original last name. I know a guy who is combining he and his fiances last names into one "new" last name. Let's just say he got made fun of... a lot.

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
If you want to change your name, do it. If you want to do it and keep your "identity", hyphenate. E.g. Rosetiarelli-Rose, or something like that. I see it a lot with DDS with ethnic names. Like, I know that "Dung" in vietnamese is a cool name and all, but in a crackerfied America, it's probably not on the top of the list.

Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status
lol this reminds me. my first name is chinese.....its direct pronounciation in english leads people to believe i am a girl....which i am not....so i sort of feel your pain lol.

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I worked with a Dr Vuvetichich...all of us and his patients called him Dr Vee. It would be a lame, and costly reason to change a name because it was difficult for your patients.

PS: Someone once suggested that a certain 'Barack H Obama' should change his name so that voters could relate to him otherwise he stood no chance of getting elected to any political office...get my point???
Yup, that's what I was talking about as well. There are a good number of Russian doctors at my hospital with some difficult last names. THere is at least one we just call Dr. *Initial*.

The Poet Sings

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
Far from home :-)
Status
Medical Student
i know of a doctor with a difficult indian last name, who chooses to be called dr. firstname instead. 2 syllables vs 4 (i know 4 isn't nearly as long as yours, but it's a mouthful and i guess he's had enough people butcher it in his life lol).