SURP Advantages/Disadvantages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EphemeralRose3

I try
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm gonna be a sophomore next year at a small college in NY. Basically this summer, I am being a research assistant in a large state institution for 12 hrs/wk. I tried to secure clinical positions, like volunteering in the ER and shadowing, but I'm having difficulty doing so. Please share with me any tips on how you secured decent clinical position.

My main problem is that there is a great SURP opportunity next summer, but it lasts 10 weeks. During those 10 weeks, I cannot do any volunteering of any kind. Furthermore, I want to take my MCAT in January 2013. I believe that I need a good summer to study for it. On the other hand, this SURP is an AMAZING opportunity. I just want to know what would you do, if you were in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

If you get the opportunity and enjoy research, do SURP. You don't have to though just for your resume - it should be a paid-research experience that you want to do.

But I am confused about why you can't volunteer during spur or study for the MCAT? The undergrad participating in SPUR this summer in my lab is working from 9/10-5/6, and then she is done. She could volunteer then. Or study then. Or do whatever she wants after 6pm. You also are free on weekends. Don't prevent yourself from participating in SPUR because you think you want have time to do other things. The last few weeks though (before you present) will probably be the busiest... but even then, you should still have the evenings mostly free.

If you get the opportunity and enjoy research, do SURP. You don't have to though just for your resume - it should be a paid-research experience that you want to do.

But I am confused about why you can't volunteer during spur or study for the MCAT? The undergrad participating in SPUR this summer in my lab is working from 9/10-5/6, and then she is done. She could volunteer then. Or study then. Or do whatever she wants after 6pm. You also are free on weekends. Don't prevent yourself from participating in SPUR because you think you want have time to do other things. The last few weeks though (before you present) will probably be the busiest... but even then, you should still have the evenings mostly free.

No, I definitely want to participate in it because I find molecular biology fascinating.

I actually thought it was more than full-time, like going to my room at like 8 at night and wake up at 6 in the morning, and I'll be exhausted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually thought it was more than full-time, like going to my room at like 8 at night and wake up at 6 in the morning, and I'll be exhausted.
Maybe depending on the school you are at and the type of PI you have... but it should just be a 40-hour/week job for you. Don't pretend to be a grad student and don't overwork yourself. You should be building on a project - so get outside help - or being starting a simple project. Though I do more behavior, I have no idea why anyone would enjoy molecular bio :pP

In the more molecular side of research... I know several SPUR students at my school are sitting around bored this past week because some enzyme they need, isn't available.. so they actually can do nothing.

No, I definitely want to participate in it because I find molecular biology fascinating.

It sounds like you really want to do that program. Especially with that attitude, you'll probably have a terrific experience. It sounds like you want us to tell you to definitely do it and that everything will be alright. It will.

With advance planning you can make it work. Disclaimer: I am absolutely unfamiliar with the SURP and what it is. Try to just start studying earlier before the summer (same amount of material covered, just over a longer period of time). Set aside 1 hour a day to study. 1 hour of pure studying (not including set-up, getting focused, etc). Also, you mentioned you are doing molecular biology research. Will there be any down time while you're waiting for something to finish running? You could always bring flashcards or a review book with you.

I did a SURP and it was really awesome. Definitely helped my application and interviewers asked about it. As for disadvantages if you have not doing research before you will find it less exciting than you hoped and there is a lot of waiting time. Also obviously you do not have the time to do other stuff like ER. You do not need a full summer 2-3 months to study for the MCAT. The only situation where you need 2-3 months is if you paid absolutely zero attention in physics, chem, organic, and bio.

edit: oh yeah you also meet a lot of cool people you would not meet otherwise in a SURP. I kept in contact with these people over the years and it's cool seeing what people are doing with their lives now