Surprise Interview Invite in Dec or Jan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody personally experienced or know somebody who got a interview invite in late Dec or January for which they hadn't called or emailed that program to "express special interest." In other words they got an invite in Dec or Jan based only on their application.

Has anybody gotten a rejection from a program then updated their application with a new Step 2 score and gotten an interview invite in late Dec or Jan.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has anybody personally experienced or know somebody who got a interview invite in late Dec or January for which they hadn't called or emailed that program to "express special interest." In other words they got an invite in Dec or Jan based only on their application.

Has anybody gotten a rejection from a program then updated their application with a new Step 2 score and gotten an interview invite in late Dec or Jan.

It's actually not that uncommon to get interview invites in Dec or Jan (I got a couple last year). There will be people canceling interviews during the application cycle.

Much harder to get interview invite after already rejected, but I'm sure that has happened in the past (that would prob require a significant jump in step scores).

Yes. Relax.

Members don't see this ad :)
If one is invited to an interview prior to dec 1 is it safe to assume that programs have you higher on the rank list than if they were to invite you for an interview in dec or jan?

If one is invited to an interview prior to dec 1 is it safe to assume that programs have you higher on the rank list than if they were to invite you for an interview in dec or jan?

Not necessarily. There's a huge volume of submissions. Viable candidates' applications can simply get reviewed later. Don't stress about it. Some of the strongest people on paper don't jibe with a program in-person and some of those who may not seem the strongest on paper can hit it out of the ballpark in-person. Same goes for how candidates view programs! :luck:

Nope. The following is a list of safe assumptions during interview season.

1. If I get an interview offer, reply in a timely manner, get a date I can make and manage to schedule travel that will get me to the interview site in time for the interview, I will be considered for a position based on a combination of my CV/Application/LORs/MSPE and my ability to not make a fool of myself at the interview.

2. I will get fed at least once during each interview day in exchange for sitting through either a boring presentation about the program by the PD or a Chief Resident or a Q&A session largely consisting of questions, the answers to which could be gleaned from a cursory glance at the program website.

3. There is no #3.