Surprise pregnancy and beginning pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naptural89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I will like realistic opinions from women who has gone through it. I just found out I'm pregnant and due in October. I would really like to start pharmacy school in August as planned but would defer if it is the best option. Please share your experience with me. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no experience as a parent in school but I would like to say I wish you the best. If you have a good support team as in parents, grandparents, significant other I believe you will be fine. The first couple of months might be a little hard considering no sleep and classes but break for semester starts in December so you might only have to go through that for 2 to 3 months.

Hello, I will like realistic opinions from women who has gone through it. I just found out I'm pregnant and due in October. I would really like to start pharmacy school in August as planned but would defer if it is the best option. Please share your experience with me. Thanks for your help.

Hey girl! I was supposed to start my 2nd year of pharmacy school on Aug 25th of last year and guess who's baby was delivered the SAME day via C-section? This gal! Here I am 8 months later and let me tell you...it is a STRUGGLE. Unless your mom is planning on moving in with you, or you plan to hire a nanny and/or housekeeper, I advise you to wait a year. All the other girls at my school who got pregnant had their mother's living with them and that's how they were able to maintain high grades. I did not have that luxury so I am beyond exhausted and my house is a mess. I have about 6 days until finals. I just hope I make it to 3rd year. If you have any other questions, you can PM me or email me [email protected]. It's a BIG decision and I know you need the support and advice so feel free to hit me up! (PS I'm natural too :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Request a deferment for next year. Most schools will say yes. It's hard with a little one. I'm married and I started the following year of my acceptance and I still had a hard time. It's all time management and being flexible. The little one is now the priority so... any help (other family members) is a necessity. Little ones get sick and that means less or no sleep for you. Bad combo.

Reactions: 2 users

Hey so I was in the same boat as you. Last year as I went through all my interviews, I had a surprise pregnancy. I had to decide what to do and decided to defer. Honestly, I am happy I did. Had I not, I believe it would have been way to hard. Having a new baby and studying is very hard. Keep in mind, however that the first 3 months won't be so bad because all they do at the time is sleep, poop and drink milk. My baby is now 9 months and is crawling and trying to stand up and walk now and its a full time job. But at this point I feel like I got a handle on her, I start school this august so now I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to study with her. It helps to have a day care though.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey girl! I was supposed to start my 2nd year of pharmacy school on Aug 25th of last year and guess who's baby was delivered the SAME day via C-section? This gal! Here I am 8 months later and let me tell you...it is a STRUGGLE. Unless your mom is planning on moving in with you, or you plan to hire a nanny and/or housekeeper, I advise you to wait a year. All the other girls at my school who got pregnant had their mother's living with them and that's how they were able to maintain high grades. I did not have that luxury so I am beyond exhausted and my house is a mess. I have about 6 days until finals. I just hope I make it to 3rd year. If you have any other questions, you can PM me or email me [email protected]. It's a BIG decision and I know you need the support and advice so feel free to hit me up! (PS I'm natural too :)

Hey Kandycp13,

Would love if you could give me more advice on how you handled pharmacy school and a child. Please email me at [email protected]. Thanks in advance.

My classmates who had kids usually had to study when the children weren't around, or were asleep. Also, mghale, are you single? You don't mention a partner. All of mine were married, although one got divorced when his wife found out how many of our classmates he'd slept with. If you saw him, you wouldn't be able to comprehend how he got ONE woman to have sex with him, let alone numerous women. He looked like a cross between Chris Farley and Jabba the Hut. :wow: :barf:

If you saw him, you wouldn't be able to comprehend how he got ONE woman to have sex with him, let alone numerous women. He looked like a cross between Chris Farley and Jabba the Hut. :wow: :barf:

He must have had an extraordinarily good........line. Or something.

Pregnancy in the middle of the 1st semester is the worst time to have a child. People I knew who had children in pharmacy class had them at the very beginning or very end of the semester. There was one woman a few classes above mine who had hers on like a Wed or Thurs and then was back on Monday in time for finals. Honestly, I would recommend trying to delay a year. Especially with your first pregnancy, you can't have any idea how easy or hard your recovery will be, especially if you have a C-section. You don't want to spend a semester's of tuition and then be forced to withdraw (we'll assume your school will let you withdraw for medical reasons, even though you would be past the official withdrawal date......worse situation would be you end up with failing grades because the school wouldn't let you withdraw.) Sure, you might physically bounce right back and only need a couple of days off, but it's a gamble.

The studying with a newborn is a completely separate issue, how difficult that is, will depend on what kind of family/friend resources you have (keep in mind daycares won't take newborns until 6 weeks.)

I had 2 classmates that got pregnant in the first semester of school. They were both married at the time.

First classmate:
Her mom moved from the Midwest to Cali to help raise her child for the first 8 months, it also really helped that her husband had an extremely flexible work schedule and seemed to be able to take time off whenever he needed to. Eventually her mother left and there were some occasions where classmates even helped to watch after her baby! Awesome.

2nd Classmate
Her mom moved into the house and helped to raise her child. Her husband was also in pharmacy school but was a year ahead of her. She would come to school looking exhausted and beat up.

In both cases, both young ladies were able to do it with love and support from friends and family. Both were hard working and studied a lot, A LOT. However, they did not work as interns which is a downside because you want to network and gain as much experience as you can.

One currently is in a residency program and the other is working retail. So you can do it if you have the support and will to succeed! Good luck to you!! :)

General question to all: having baby before-during or after pharmacy school? when you are on your 30's? thanks

General question to all: having baby before-during or after pharmacy school? when you are on your 30's? thanks
Hey there, personally speaking, my fiancé and I who have been together for over 4 years (getting married in oct, 2016) have made the choice to wait on starting a family until AFTER I have finished my pharmacy education. I am currently 27... That means we will start to get down to business when I'm done at the age of 31, 32.

Yes, this is older than most people choose, but I figure it is wise for me to get through school distraction/stress free with my husband.