Surprise pregnancy/beginning med school

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by ldavis, Jun 22, 2000.

1. ldavis

ldavis New Member

I am a 32 year old mother of three entering med. school in August, 2000. Our children are 4,5, and 8. Surprise! We just found out that we are now expecting our fourth child. My husband is extremely supportive and works out of our home so that he can offer more support to the children. I am concerned about possible harmful chemicals in anatomy lab, as well as the logistics of a Valentine's baby in the midst of my first year. Any advice?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kilian

Kilian New Member

I am afraid I don't have any immmediate advice for you but must say I am glad to see someone else who's doing things the way I am! I will be 32 before I finish my undergrad (I'm 31 now), and have just decided to go to med school. My fiance and I are planning to have kids during med school (hopefully in early summer so there will be time off to recover). If I were to try to wait till after my residency I'd be about 42!!

I know how scary this decision has been for me so I warmly congradulate you on *your* decision! Please feel free to keep in touch. It would be nice to talk to someone going through the same things I'd imagine.

Best of luck to you and congradulations on the new little one! =)

Raina N. Smith
    [email protected]

4. Mango

Mango Very Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Some schools allow you to put off your matriculation for a year. That may be the solution for you! Give them a call and see what they say. Good luck

5. fiatslug

fiatslug Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    I have a (soon to be) classmate who is 36 and having a baby this month. In terms of the chemicals... I'm not sure what risks they would cause you or your baby, but I would think formaldehyde would exacerbate the morning sickness... Good luck! Can you contact anyone at your school who's been in a similar situation?

6. Sherry

Sherry Member

ldavis,

I must commend you on your determination! I found myself in similar circumstances 18 years ago and opted to wait, now I am a MS-1 with no regrets AND a son who starts his pre-med curriculum this August. (we take mutual pride in one another's accomplishments). I am not so sure if our lives would have turned out as wonderful and complete had I chosen another path.

If your circumstances are such that you can handle it all great. I would recommend pacing yourself and checking into the many opportunities to do a decellerated program. Most schools have them. We have one and there is no adverse reaction from faculty or other students to my knowledge if you opt that route.

Congratulations on both blessed events!!!

7. medlou

medlou Junior Member

I have a friend who found out she was pregnant right as school was starting, and we have gross anatomy first semester. I don't remember there being much concern about the chemicals affecting her baby (don't quote me on that--always check with your OB), but I know the smell made her really sick. She used a gas-type mask for exams, and only came to lab to study on her own time (fewer cadaver tables open during non-class times, thus less smell.) The department also offered her a tutor. It wasn't a great semester for her, but she ended up doing okay & she made it through.
    Best of luck to you!

8. 1918

1918 Member

Sherry -- That's a cute story about you and your son. Good luck to both of you.

9. Sherry

Sherry Member

Thanks, he thinks he wants to practice with me someday. But he has yet to fall in love. Once that happens all bets are off. We all go where our heart/spouse takes us.

Personally, I just want to be finished before he starts; enough people already call me mom.

10. 1918

1918 Member

Hey, maybe he and his heart will persuade her to follow him to the "family practice" [​IMG]

11. Sheiila

Sheiila Member

There is a book out about a woman who got pregnant just as she began at Harvard Med School. I THINK it was Peri Glas, and the book is "Not an Entirely Benign Procedure". It's less than 5 years old. I got it at Barnes & Noble.

12. 1918

1918 Member

I read that earlier this year -- I enjoyed it, although she doesn't go into a lot of detail about how she managed with her baby and husband. She touches on how it affected her in several different contexts which is interesting though.

13. Have you checked out the http://www.mommd.com website? You would have the opportunity to talk with many women in the same situation as you that could offer you some insight.

Kris

------------------
    Please stop by my website http://www.survivingresidency.com and recommend it to your spouses and friends!

14. Dear mom-
    I started med school with our first child 5 days after she was born. It was nearly impossible but I did it, I managed to pass all my first year courses (I even managed to score an A on my neuro final). But all this was done at a tremendous sacrifice! I missed seeing my daughter, I was lucky to spend 2 hrs/day with her. I was fortunate to be able to have my mother in law stay with us for her first 3 months since day care was not accepting small children. My husband also woke up and fed her during the nights. I have a lot of classmates with older childern (like yours) who dropped out of school because of the tremendous commitment.

Some words of advice:
    [1] Hire a full time nanny or get a bigger house and have a relative stay for the first 3-6 months.
    [2] Schedule time for family. One class mate with a 10 mo and 4 year old spent from 5pm-7pm m-f with her kids, but them to bed and studied 7-12. On the weekends she dissapeared from 6am-3pm then spent the remaineder of the time with the family. You need to spend 40 hrs/wk at a minimum studying. Some skipped classes and studied from notes to be able to get the hours in.
    [3] It depends when you are due the formadlehyde and phenol in the lab is DEADLY to the unborn child. I did a lot of reseach on this because I breastfed and these chemicals are transmitted in milk. You will have to buy rubber gloves and a full mask, tank and inhaler. Many schools will tell you to defer a year soley because of the risk.

Feel free to contact me
    [email protected]

Best of luck
    Diane

------------------

15. ldavis

ldavis New Member

Thanks to everyone for your kind and encouraging words! I have a lot to be thankful for, including a supportive husband, an initially supportive medical school, and a precious little one on the way. The Lord has provided so much for us in the whole process from more than adequate housing to encouragement to the opportunity to even go and learn. Maybe this is a chance to depend even more on Him!

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Sheiila

Sheiila Member

As a mom... I say wait a year.