Surprising Attitudes of MDs Towards DOs While I Was Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SyrianHero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not trying to bring up any controversy about MDs vs DOs, rather I want to just express my surprise at the attitude of some of the MD physicians that I was shadowing. I made it a habit to ask the MD doctors that I was shadowing to explain to me what the differences are between MDs and DOs, even though I already knew the differences between the two, but I wanted to see their attitude toward DOs. Surprisingly the reaction that I got was one of derision. For example, I asked an orthopedic surgeon that I heard that some DOs go into orthopedic surgery since they have classes dedicated to the study of the musculoskeletal system and his response was that DOs believe in "alternative medicine crap" and that they are inferior to MDs because the only reason to go in the DO route is if you don't get into an MD school. I got similar reactions from the other MDs that I shadowed which surprised me a lot since I thought physicians respected each other, and didn't look at each other in terms of their MD or DO initials. I am wondering what you guys think? Do you think most MDs think this way? And are you surprised, or am I making a big deal out of nothing?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not trying to bring up any controversy about MDs vs DOs, rather I want to just express my surprise at the attitude of some of the MD physicians that I was shadowing. I made it a habit to ask the MD doctors that I was shadowing to explain to me what the differences are between MDs and DOs, even though I already knew the differences between the two, but I wanted to see their attitude toward DOs. Surprisingly the reaction that I got was one of derision. For example, I asked an orthopedic surgeon that I heard that some DOs go into orthopedic surgery since they have classes dedicated to the study of the musculoskeletal system and his response was that DOs believe in "alternative medicine crap" and that they are inferior to MDs because the only reason to go in the DO route is if you don't get into an MD school. I got similar reactions from the other MDs that I shadowed which surprised me a lot since I thought physicians respected each other, and didn't look at each other in terms of their MD or DO initials. I am wondering what you guys think? Do you think most MDs think this way? And are you surprised, or am I making a big deal out of nothing?
Yet you are.

:slap:

Status
Not open for further replies.