Surprising SMP Goodness (Mississippi College)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMidlife

has an opinion
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I frequently state, with enthusiasm, that the sole value of an SMP is its ability to get people into med school.

I also frequently state that skepticism is good when looking at SMPs which do not make public such results, or which do not make it clear how many grads get in MD vs. DO or how soon.

3 years ago, the last time I worked up an SMP list, I used the count of med school courses, with med students, on a med school campus, as the primary basis of SMP reputation. That's less clear now.

I'm bringing this up because the Mississippi College program, about which I have made some ungenerous WTF-style comments, because it's not hosted at a med school, appears to be rocking the public results. It's using NBME shelf exams on coursework to set a basis of comparison with other programs hosted at med schools. I assumed it was expensive because it's a private school, but it's cheaper than all but Tulane ACP.

To the extent that anybody cares what I think (and I don't assume anybody does), Mississippi College's program looks entirely legit as an SMP choice. Results are highly localized to the delta area at this point, but I could see that changing.

Compare this results page: http://www.mc.edu/academics/departments/biology/graduates/past-graduates/2010/
With Cincinnati's: http://www.med.uc.edu/physiology/MS-2010.htm

Note: as always, if you are looking at SMPs, be a smart consumer. Find alumni. On SDN, read every post in every thread about the programs you're considering. When you have multiple anecdotes that show students with your stats getting results you want from an SMP, then you know you're on the right track.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have recently been accepted to this program and have been weighing my options out between Mississippi college and UMDNJ. I was almost certain I was going to attend UMDNJ because I heard that Mississippi benefits residents more for area med schools.

Does anyone know of any success stories for non-resident?

Sent from my PG06100 using SDN Mobile

Since most of the students in the program went to U of Mississippi, I just wanted to point out the according to MSAR, the University of Mississippi School of Medicine does NOT accept ANY out of state applications.

It seems like 2/3rd of Mississippi residents who apply get interviews. I don't want to give out exact MSAR numbers since I don't know if I'm allowed to. However, let's say that they have a class size of 135 and less than 2x of that amount gets interviewed.

Seems like a fantastic program if you're a resident of Mississippi.

Members don't see this ad :)
Petition for change of residency classification A person who enters the state of Mississippi from another state and enters an educational institution is considered a nonresident. Provided, however, that any person who has attained 21 years of age and has thereafter actually established residency and resided within Mississippi for 12 consecutive months after attaining 21 years of age upon sworn affidavit and other representation, may petition the particular institution for a change in residency classification for the purposes of fees and tuition assessment.
Source: http://www.umc.edu/Education/School...ons/Admission_Standards_and_Legal_Policy.aspx

I was specifically told by the dean of admissions at my state's medical school (we have 2)for me to go here for my SMP. I was told that I need a 3.6 or better in the fall so that I can be competitive.
Anecdotally, I personally know one person who was admitted to a Louisiana medical school after graduating from MC. This is not the only person that I have heard of succeeding in medical school because of this program. It is a well-known regional school that has a proven track record.

I recently completed the program at MC and I can attest to its rigorous workload and quality of education. As the OP stated, we have the option of taking the NBME Shelf exams to allow adcoms to truly see how we "stack up" against actual med students. As far as I know we are the only program that offers that. LSU loves the program as well as Ole Miss's med school. It's small, but growing and gaining recognition across the country, as it should!

If you do very well in this program, you are getting in somewhere; however, it is most highly reputable in the south. Schools in this region know what kind of successful student it produces. Note, there is a fair share of students that enter this program and are not cut out for the mirroring med school curriculum. It truly is a rough program. As stated before, if you do well (3.75+) then, you will most likely get into a professional school. If you do not perform well, it will tell you to be successful in something else.
One last thing, if you do attend this institution, do not underestimate the program...and if you have more questions about your personal circumstances/program itself, please feel free to PM me.

Since most of the students in the program went to U of Mississippi, I just wanted to point out the according to MSAR, the University of Mississippi School of Medicine does NOT accept ANY out of state applications.

It seems like 2/3rd of Mississippi residents who apply get interviews. I don't want to give out exact MSAR numbers since I don't know if I'm allowed to. However, let's say that they have a class size of 135 and less than 2x of that amount gets interviewed.

Seems like a fantastic program if you're a resident of Mississippi.

It is more than that. I have several members of my class who are NOT Mississippi natives that graduated from MC Master's program. They did very well their first year.

I lived in California for 26 years before moving down here and changing my residency. The residency switch asks for a drivers license, car registration, voter registration, permanent address, employment, and spouse to help plead your case for residency. Obviously not all are required but the more the better. UMC did send me an email saying I will be considered a resident so my only obstacle now would be to convince them I want to stay here. (Which I do) I've been in the program for a year now. To really secure that A, I'd prepare for a year and a half. Biggest advice I can give about the program is to remember that you're here to boost your grades. Avoid the "I want to learn this for med school" or "this would be interesting" mentality. (Most people will agree that a 3.6-3.8 is what you want to aim for. 2 Bs can drop you below that so be careful). Lastly, don't assume that if you have background in a subject that it will be a walk in the park. It wont. Feel free to pm me here or in the MC facebook group if you have any specific questions.

Last edited:
I lived in California for 26 years before moving down here and changing my residency. The residency switch asks for a drivers license, car registration, voter registration, permanent address, employment, and spouse to help plead your case for residency. Obviously not all are required but the more the better. UMC did send me an email saying I will be considered a resident so my only obstacle now would be to convince them I want to stay here. (Which I do) I've been in the program for a year now. To really secure that A, I'd prepare for a year and a half. Biggest advice I can give about the program is to remember that you're here to boost your grades. Avoid the "I want to learn this for med school" or "this would be interesting" mentality. (Most people will agree that a 3.6-3.8 is what you want to aim for. 2 Bs can drop you below that so be careful). Lastly, don't assume that if you have background in a subject that it will be a walk in the park. It wont. Feel free to pm me here or in the MC facebook group if you have any specific questions.

Could I ask how many people actually end up taking the shelf exams? and do they interfere with finals? Also how seriously do medical schools take the shelf scores?

Does this mean you need to have been a resident in mississippi for 12 consecutive months BEFORE applying or before you enter school? If I start my state residency starting in August but AMCAS application comes out in June, do I have to delay my application?

State school generally prefer student from their state, so preference is given to them. So if you're interested in this school you should probably be a resident."Strong preference is given to applicants who are legal residents of Mississippi; in recent years, nonresidents have not been admitted. "

Does this mean you need to have been a resident in mississippi for 12 consecutive months BEFORE applying or before you enter school? If I start my state residency starting in August but AMCAS application comes out in June, do I have to delay my application?
Moving to state X doesn't make you a resident of state X.

You can't generally get residency if you move to be a student.

To get residency you have to establish a domicile which is intended to be permanent. You at least have to get your car registration changed, your drivers license changed, and your voter registration changed. You can't have any property outside the new state, and your parents can't claim you as a dependent (likely including the cost of health insurance, which is a deduction) in your old state.

If you don't get a job, sign a lease, and/or pay utilities, you have a very difficult time proving you mean to stay. If you buy property, it's considerably easier (see property tax explanation below).

If you go after a seat at U of MS, you're taking one away from a MS resident whose parents paid a deep furry pile of property taxes their whole life, which pay for that school's existence. Which is why they make it hard for you to come get a free ride.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could I ask how many people actually end up taking the shelf exams? and do they interfere with finals? Also how seriously do medical schools take the shelf scores?

Depends on the class. People generally do pretty well on the Gross, Phys, and Histo shelf exams. Neuro not so much since there is a great deal of pharm, gross, and other stuff in there that most med students get that you wont get. The classes constantly throw in more and more into the lecture notes to prepare you for the shelf so each class does better and better. I know people score in the 90s sometimes for the phys and highest score is in the 70s for neuro. I don't know actual numbers but I would think 30-40 would take it of the 50 who make it through each class. The shelf is generally the Wednesday after all finals are over so even if you have the last final, you have a day to study for it.

My personal thoughts on the shelf is that the program prepares you very well for the shelf. Generally the questions fall into two categories. Stuff you've seen before and stuff you have absolutely no background in.(mainly because these are meant for people who take courses in order) The stuff you know, you know in far more detail than any question will ever ask you so you will do well but you will also run into many questions you have no clue where to start.

The students I've talked to have told me that most interviewers don't even ask about the shelf exams. They're good practice, at least to see what you will be taking in the future. I don't think it will sway them as much as a good MCAT score.

As for residency, I came here in July and bought a car and signed a lease for an apartment. I'm currently working in the state and paying taxes and I'm still not sure they will even interview me. They did however approve my residency petition so that's a start. I know they are very very strict on residency here and if you leave for ugrad and come back they have been known to question your dedication.

I think you are considered a resident if you will have stayed in MS for 12 months when school starts.

Is it more or less competitive than applying for the fall or spring? I have a 3.0 cGPA but a slightly lower sGPA.

Is it more or less competitive than applying for the fall or spring? I have a 3.0 cGPA but a slightly lower sGPA.

This question has been answered on the other Mississippi college thread. Basic answer is the level of competition is the same. You are not competing for seats but if you can succeed in the program.

I would also like to add to this that the weight of the NBME shelf exams is extremely exaggerated. While you can take the NBME shelf exams at MC ( and in Case western's Master program now) they don't serve as a comparison of your performance vs medical school students. The reason for this is the fact that the shelf exam are standardized to the state they are administered in and results are issued back to the institution that administered the test. Basically it means you are only compared to the students at UMMC and this can only be done within a letter of recommendation from the professors at MC. Your results are not released in a standardized format. The medical school has to take the word of the professor that wrote your LOR that you did as well as you did from an institution that brags their masters program is far more rigorous then many medical schools programs. So schools out of the state of MS really don't care that you can out score all of the medical school students in the only allo medical school in the state. You can see that the only place that this test may have any weight at is UMMC and even there you don't need the shelf exam to prove yourself, just good grades and a LOR from Baldwin. Shelf exam is nothing more then $35 practice test to make you feel good if you do well and make you rethink yourself if you do poorly.

Now to address this whole becoming instate business. It is possible to do this but the big question is would you want to do this. It takes holding a job and housing in the state of MS for at least a year in order to apply. Then after that you will have to stick around for at least a year to prove your interest in the area and the school. Let us all so not forget this is Mississippi and race and southern pride have alot to do with getting in to UMMC. If you lack a southern accent this is going to raise a red flag at your interview and they will want to know where you are from. To many in order to be southern you have to be born and raised in the south and sorry my Florida brothers and sisters that doesn't count ( when they think of Florida geography has nothing to do with it, Florida = Miami= "others"). It takes more then being in MS for X amount of time. Now am I claiming that UMMC will discriminate against you because of your race... No of course not. They will discriminate against your "otherness". Your lack of southern swagger ( the fact that you use the term swagger is a big minus on the southern thing) , not taking interest in things that are obviously southern, your political views, religious ideas, and of course where you are from. They will never believe a person from Miami or New York has any interest in Mississippi but someone from Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee maybe. So if you are thinking about getting into MC and changing residency hopping to get into UMMC be ready to wait a long time and you better be from a state that is southern in the eyes of MS. Ignore the mason dixon line and look at the politically election map. The red states from Tennessee on down count.

Moving to state X doesn't make you a resident of state X.

You can't generally get residency if you move to be a student.

To get residency you have to establish a domicile which is intended to be permanent. You at least have to get your car registration changed, your drivers license changed, and your voter registration changed. You can't have any property outside the new state, and your parents can't claim you as a dependent (likely including the cost of health insurance, which is a deduction) in your old state.

If you don't get a job, sign a lease, and/or pay utilities, you have a very difficult time proving you mean to stay. If you buy property, it's considerably easier (see property tax explanation below).

If you go after a seat at U of MS, you're taking one away from a MS resident whose parents paid a deep furry pile of property taxes their whole life, which pay for that school's existence. Which is why they make it hard for you to come get a free ride.

Best of luck to you.

I've been creeping on these MC threads for the longest but this made me want to comment. It is also quite unfortunate that residency requirements are not MORE stringent. I say so because MS students have a diminished educational foundation from the beginning. Unless your parents are wealthy enough to afford an education to JA or St. Andrews, you end up going to a public school. Even JA and St. Andrews don't stack up to some public and most private school of other states. Once you enter the MS public school system, it becomes clearly apparent that teachers aren't MS's highest priority. The good ones are here because of an existing obligation and most are barely qualified to be educators and it becomes worse and worse every year. Even some of the best high school's in MS are plagued with teen pregnancies and drug use which leads to an increasingly high dropout rate-- all of this effects even a bright student's future. When you get a lower education, you have lower chances of being accepted into a great college, and therefore, you have lower chances of being accepted into a great medical school. UMMC provides an opportunity for those MS residents to be doctors, who would be automatically rejected by most other med schools. Quite honestly, I think it's beyond fair that non-residents who don't stand a chance to be accepted at their state's med school, at least get a chance to become residents and go to school here.

you get a lower education, you have lower chances of being accepted into a great college, and therefore, you have lower chances of being accepted into a great medical school. UMMC provides an opportunity for those MS residents to be doctors, who would be automatically rejected by most other med schools.
Yes, because I want my parents operated on someone who had a crappy education but gosh-darn-it, life isn't fair so they should become a doctor too.

Quite honestly, I think it's beyond fair that non-residents who don't stand a chance to be accepted at their state's med school, at least get a chance to become residents and go to school here.
I agree. It doesn't bother me at all that aspiring med students who want to take advantage of cheap, low-stats schools first have to make a multi-year investment in the host state.

Yes, because I want my parents operated on someone who had a crappy education but gosh-darn-it, life isn't fair so they should become a doctor too.
And I agree with the point here as well. Allowing poorly educated students into med school isn't any answer to any of Mississippi's problems.

You should check out UMMC's match list and board scores before referring to the education that students receive there as "crappy".

You should check out UMMC's match list and board scores before referring to the education that students receive there as "crappy".
Ugh - learn to read; I was referencing the previous guy's post

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh - learn to read; I was referencing the previous guy's post

It could have been taken either way

edit: Also, even if you were referring to their undergraduate education what does that have to do with clinical skills? All that matters is their medical education, which is top notch at UMMC. I know a theater major who is an MS II, what value is his education as it pertains to being able to perform surgery, etc.

It could have been taken either way

edit: Also, even if you were referring to their undergraduate education what does that have to do with clinical skills? All that matters is their medical education, which is top notch at UMMC. I know a theater major who is an MS II, what value is his education as it pertains to being able to perform surgery, etc.
You've lost the plot mate. No-one ever discussed major and its influence on medical skills.

What are some jobs available to you (essentially, what are you qualified for) after completing this program? Trying to explore my options after ifnishing this program as I will be entering a gap year while applying to med school.

What are some jobs available to you (essentially, what are you qualified for) after completing this program? Trying to explore my options after ifnishing this program as I will be entering a gap year while applying to med school.
I've probably been to Mississippi, like 20 years ago, so the following answer is not regionally tuned.

Prospects for a one year entry level job do not really change after completion of a one year masters program, certainly not a masters that is designed solely to improve admissions chances for med/dent school. Your resume from previous jobs is going to be more interesting than completion of this program.

If you'll be staying around MC for your gap year, then work on relationships with faculty/admin to increase your opportunities there. If you won't be staying around MC for your gap year, then start looking at the job listings back home - start now, to get educated, and keep your home contacts/references healthy.

Best of luck to you.

Hi everyone!

I don't know if this post needs to go somewhere else--let me know if it does.

I am beginning to prepare for the 2014-2015 AMCAS cycle...beginning to draft ideas for my personal statement. Like most people in the MedSci program, I had a subpar undergrad GPA. Did you make mention of your lackluster GPA in your personal statement? I think my low GPA provided me with some insight into life that I think is worth recommending but I also don't want to incriminate myself--after all, they'll see the grades from undergrad but I do feel like discussing them (not making an excuse for them) is necessary. Any advice about writing personal statements and low uGPAs?

If you do very well in this program, you are getting in somewhere; however, it is most highly reputable in the south. Schools in this region know what kind of successful student it produces. Note, there is a fair share of students that enter this program and are not cut out for the mirroring med school curriculum. It truly is a rough program. As stated before, if you do well (3.75+) then, you will most likely get into a professional school. If you do not perform well, it will tell you to be successful in something else.
One last thing, if you do attend this institution, do not underestimate the program...and if you have more questions about your personal circumstances/program itself, please feel free to PM me.

Hello, I was just recently admitted into this program. Would you mind providing some details for me regarding your overall experience at Mississippi College?