bluewheels

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2003
Visit site
Status
Does Anyone know if The Complete Idiot's Guide to Stastics is helpful for psychological Stats class? I know it is written for the math class primarily

Psyclops

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2006
Status
Other Health Professions Student
bluewheels said:
Does Anyone know if The Complete Idiot's Guide to Stastics is helpful for psychological Stats class? I know it is written for the math class primarily
I wouldn't worry about it too much, stats for psych is easy. :thumbup:

About the Ads

Psyclops

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2006
Status
Other Health Professions Student
See OPs post in Things I hate about psychology...

But I would say the opposite, if it is hard it's not being taught correctly. Statistics shouln't be hard, at least not in undergrad. Graduate level classes that focus on stuff like HLM and SEM will likely be challenging.

lazure

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2004
Canada
Visit site
Status
The best way to learn stats is to get a data set that interests you at least somewhat and immerse yourself in it. Try out new approaches to data analyses just for the sheer fun of it. Make up hypotheses and test them. Become best friends with your local statistical consultant. Go to stats workshops. Read good stats books - Tabachnic & Fidell, Stevenson are my favourite. In my humble opinion, if you are scared of stats you shouldn't be in psych.

colincorgi

10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2006
Status
Non-Student
I have to strongly agree with Lazure's first point. Undergrad stats never really made much sense to me until I actually became an RA and was given a data set to mine (with a dangling carrot of publication if I did a good job) -- once I got going with that I actually wanted to learn more so that I was sure that what I was doing was sound. Nothing like having a stake in a project to give you an incentive to do a good job.

About the Ads