Suspension...To tell or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

byorkie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was suspended from a university for something that I did not do. What happen is that there was a mistake made on my transcript, to be exact, 3 credit hours were not on my transcript from the previous semester. When I tried to get the situation fixed, I was given the run around. By the end of the semester, I was in panic mode because I was going to be transferring to a different university and needed to have my transcript corrected before the transfer. So, I eventually spoke to a lady in the transcript office who said she would take care of this for me. Two months later, I get a letter from the university stating that there was a discrepency on my transcript and that I was being investigated for it. I got a lawyer, but could not afford the lawyer fees throughout the entire investigation (besides, the lawyer sucked). My only choice was either to plead no contest and take the suspension, or get a loan and pay for another lawyer. So, I pleaded no contest. The suspension is not on my academic record and I because it is confidential I must give permission for any school to see these records. What should I do? Should I tell or not? Do dental schools just randomly ask students permission to see these records? It's unfair for this to hinder my acceptance to a school. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would disclose it. If they find out you didn't disclose it and you tried to hide it that would look very bad on your part. As long as you describe what happened, and how you went about to rectify this situation it will look good on your part. Even if you did get suspended as long as you say why it should be ok.

Just tell the truth...ethically it is the right thing to do. Ethics aside, the harm caused if they found out you tried to hide it isn't worth it. The likelihood they would find out if you did hide it is slim, but still not worth it since it only takes one school finding out, and if they want, they can let all the others that you applied to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your replies. I will definetely take everyones advice.

lilchinoboy03 said:
as long as we're on the subject...do applications ask about traffic violations or other minor infractions? im sure they ask whether or not uve got a misdemeanor or felony...but how about minor infractions that aren't supposed to be seen by jobs on a background check?

They don't ask for traffic violations. What do you mean "other minor infractions?"

I'd contact the school and see if they even have a record of your suspension. Tell them you cannot exactly remember what the term used to describe the situation was and see what they've got. I would disclose if asked specifically if it happened.

I disagree, at my school, there are 2 levels of 'confidential'. One is your grades, etc, which only teachers can see- the other is suspension, cheating, etc violations only viewable to the dean, etc.

When you plead no contest, youre AGREEING that the violation wont be visible.

Your waiver waives your confidentiality for grades, etc, not your confidentiality for #2.

I wouldnt tell personally, if you pled no contest to have it disappear, the University should make good on their deal. All you will do by telling is draw attention to yourself.

byorkie said:
I was suspended from a university for something that I did not do. What happen is that there was a mistake made on my transcript, to be exact, 3 credit hours were not on my transcript from the previous semester. When I tried to get the situation fixed, I was given the run around. By the end of the semester, I was in panic mode because I was going to be transferring to a different university and needed to have my transcript corrected before the transfer. So, I eventually spoke to a lady in the transcript office who said she would take care of this for me. Two months later, I get a letter from the university stating that there was a discrepency on my transcript and that I was being investigated for it. I got a lawyer, but could not afford the lawyer fees throughout the entire investigation (besides, the lawyer sucked). My only choice was either to plead no contest and take the suspension, or get a loan and pay for another lawyer. So, I pleaded no contest. The suspension is not on my academic record and I because it is confidential I must give permission for any school to see these records. What should I do? Should I tell or not? Do dental schools just randomly ask students permission to see these records? It's unfair for this to hinder my acceptance to a school. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

hhhmmmm...not sure i get this...so you took a 3 credit class and yet it was not in the previous smester's transcript..or what? anyways, whatever it is, if it does not show on your transcripts, then you do not need to volunteer the information to dental schools. it is not a big deal and it seems that you have not done anything wrong so i suggest that you dont put yourself in an oakward situaiton with the dental schools. i will tell you from expericne that there is such a thing as too much information in dental school applications...

byorkie said:

Dude, just be honest with what happened and write it down on your AADSAS application.

If you're dishonest and you're caught somewhere down the line, you may be expelled from dental school.

Just look at the AADSAS form where they ask you "I promise that all information is correct to my knowledge....." and that small paragraph is emphasizing to applicants to be open and candid.

Doesn't sound like you did something wrong, so just provide all the legal paper work from your attorney.

Read the question asked by AADSAS and answer specifically what it says. No more, no less. I wouldn't volunteer anything.