Position Swap Swap PGY-2 Neurology for PGY-2 Psychiatry for 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redkawolf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently in PGY-1 intern year (TY) with associated PGY2 Neuro position. Looking for specialty change, let me know if you're interested.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt you’d find someone willing to switch from a residency where you do 40hrs to 75hrs a week.

Not sure about open spots

Update: I switched and it was one of the best life decisions I’ve made. 😊

Reactions: 1 user
Update: I switched and it was one of the best life decisions I’ve made. 😊
Congrats on switching. Why did you switch if you don't mind me asking. Is it just because of the hours? I've been debating between neuro and psych so what made you switch from neuro to psych?

Congrats on switching. Why did you switch if you don't mind me asking. Is it just because of the hours? I've been debating between neuro and psych so what made you switch from neuro to psych?
I was going for behavioral neuro (neuropsychiatry) from the start. Took me a few months of intern year to realize neuro isn't for me as my interests fit psych much better. I’ve been a cognitive neuroscience / psychology (+ a mix of humanities/philosophy/arts) person since before college. In practice, neuroscience is far more relevant to psychiatry than neurology, a field heavier in internal medicine. My second career choice was clinical psychology even before med school. It was about helping patients understand themselves and their world, in the most “organic” way. I’d been very inspired by doctor-writers of the time the 2 fields were still united (Sacks, Frankl, Freud who influenced Jung among many others.. were all neurologists)

I enjoyed studying the life sciences, and I did pretty well on exams. But I’m not particularly a huge fan of the actual practice of -general- medicine. My medical school rotations were a bit disjointed and involved a lot of shadowing (US IMG) so it took me longer to understand what I was getting myself into. Intern year was tough for me, but I learned the system and am now very comfortable in psych with my clinical knowledge and edu background. I was just in the wrong field.

And yes the lifestyle is better! Compared to a lot of residencies, though still super busy at times- it’s manageable! Especially when it’s something I feel good to be a part of :) All the best to you!

Last edited:
I was going for behavioral neuro (neuropsychiatry) from the start. Took me a few months of intern year to realize neuro isn't for me as my interests fit psych much better. I’ve been a cognitive neuroscience / psychology (+ a mix of humanities/philosophy/arts) person since before college. In practice, neuroscience is far more relevant to psychiatry than neurology, a field heavier in internal medicine. My second career choice was clinical psychology even before med school. It was about helping patients understand themselves and their world, in the most “organic” way. I’d been very inspired by doctor-writers of the time the 2 fields were still united (Sacks, Frankl, Freud who influenced Jung among many others.. were all neurologists)

I enjoyed studying the life sciences, and I did pretty well on exams. But I’m not particularly a huge fan of the actual practice of -general- medicine. My medical school rotations were a bit disjointed and involved a lot of shadowing (US IMG) so it took me longer to understand what I was getting myself into. Intern year was tough for me, but I learned the system and am now very comfortable in psych with my clinical knowledge and edu background. I was just in the wrong field.

And yes the lifestyle is better! Compared to a lot of residencies, though still super busy at times- it’s manageable! Especially when it’s something I feel good to be a part of :) All the best to you!
How did you ultimately get the switch to happen? Through SDN? Did someone take your spot 1-for-1? Just curious how it works for people.

How did you ultimately get the switch to happen? Through SDN? Did someone take your spot 1-for-1? Just curious how it works for people.
I used Residency Swap (a few sites out there) and tried to get as much information as I could through connections and people who were familiar with he process. I was planning on applying to both pgy2 open + swap positions as well as reapplying to psych as a pgy1 through the match and open + swap positions. There were probably only a good 5 out of the total (of both pgy2 and pgy1) 15 across the US that seemed feasible, with urgent application times yet strict app requirements (as extensive or more than match apps without ERAS to help). Likely competitive, not easy. I would have to move a few states away mid-year. Lots of research, setting up meetings, and time pressure while working, it’s very independent unlike match.

Anyway I discussed my goals and plans with both my TY and Neuro PDs who were very supportive. Attendings discussed my situation. I was offered psych electives. Ended up interviewing at my home program and it worked out great. So definitely start with your institution who knows you and your situation best.

Last edited: