Sweet, I'm gonna be a doctor! .... Oh no, I'm gonna be a doctor!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Adcadet, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    has anybody else recently gotten a med school acceptance and in the middle of celebrating had the chilling realization that becoming a doctor is in no way easy? Not that I'm having second thoughts, but I'm not nearly as thrilled as I thought I'd be at this point.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hehe congrats Adcadet, dont worry, when u start med school, u will be overly thrilled ;)

4. yes, I had the EXACT same reaction. and I got pulled off the waitlist in mid-July so I didn't have a lot of time to prepare. I was thrilled and then scared. sometimes still get intimidated in fact. But med school can be a lot of fun, and it gets better as you go along. I like second year much better than I did first, and can't wait for next year (yep, even 4:30 am wakeup call for OB/GYN rotations!). CONGRATULATIONS (and on a great school, too, I have a friend who is a second year at UMN-Twin Cities (originally from Iowa) and he loves it) and enjoy all the time-off you can get before med school starts!

5. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, getting accepted can be kind of a let-down if you have built it up too much. You think you're not thrilled now? Wait until your first finals week. "That's some f*cked up repugnant ****."

6. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yeah, thats more or less the same thing I said. It feels great all the work has capitalized into an acceptance, but then i think, uhhhh, this just gets exponentially harder from this point on. kinda sobering.

ahh well, i'm just glad i've been given the opportunity, even though it wil come at a price that I cant even realize right now. so i'm gonna enjoy myself as possible till school starts next fall. i encourage all to do the same.

:hardy:

7. SouthernGirl

SouthernGirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

For me, it is hard to really absorb that I am in. I know I still am waiting to hear from almost every school on my list, but I have one acceptance. I still have to sort of remind myself, "I am GOING to med school! There's no more 'if!!' " I guess I've been working towards this goal for so many years that it's hard to just shake that mindset.

8. pAkhtmAn

pAkhtmAn pAkht mEmbEr
    7+ Year Member

Oh how I long for the piece of mind of being accepted. My entire life is on hold until some Admissions Committee somewhere gives me an acceptance. For those of you who have been accepted: Appreciate what you have, we non-yet-accepted-people are in limbo right now...

9. TroutBum

TroutBum Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I understand the feeling too. It seems like being accepted is winning the lottery to get a spot in the marathon, but even worse because the process consumed all your time and energy and money. After getting an acceptance come the realization that we still have to run the race.

Either way, I'm so frickin' happy to be in--good luck to those of you waiting to hear word--I'm sure that most people on SDN will do great!

Diogenes, you're a very eloquent writer :D