[Sweet Sixteen] Most Deserving Student to be admitted... MEN'S BRACKET-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's that time of year again, folks! Time for YOU to decide which lucky wannabe-doctor gets to go to med school! First up, the men's bracket!

Quix said:
So, as a break from the tedium of the application process, and in an effort to match the current fervor of college basketball, I thought it would be fun to have a quick tournament featuring prospective medical students, and who would be the most deserving of admission into medical school.

To that end, I will pick two candidates, square them off "Sweet Sixteen" style, and let you make their case for admission, listing strengths and weaknesses. Highest number of votes moves on to the next round. I'll give voting one day per match-up.

Hall of Champions
2008: Darth Vader

Just a couple of things to remember:
1) If I can't tell who you voted for, it doesn't count.
2) I'm pretty much gonna be posting the new vote each day whenever I feel like it, so vote EARLY! Also, make sure you check this thread DAILY!
3) Feel free to consider the intangibles of an applicant's application when choosing who to vote for; as in the real thing, stats aren't everything ;)

Alright, enough intro- ready, Set, GO!

First battle in the East Bracket, Sweet Sixteen:

1236079070_DrManhattan.jpg

Dr. Manhattan
MCAT 45J (15/15/15/J), GPA 4.0

vs.

JackSparrow300.jpg

Capt. Jack Sparrow
MCAT 34R (12/10/12/R), GPA 3.6

Make your case!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's that time of year again, folks! Time for YOU to decide which lucky wannabe-doctor gets to go to med school! First up, the men's bracket!

Hall of Champions

2) I'm pretty much gonna be posting the new vote each day whenever I feel like it, so vote EARLY!
3) Feel free to consider the intangibles of an applicant's application when choosing who to vote for; as in the real thing, stats aren't everything ;)

Dr. Manhattan

vs.

JackSparrow300.jpg

Capt. Jack Sparrow

Make your case!

While both are largely concerned with their own interests, Capt. Jack will at least be personable about it.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused, are we comparing them on stats only or what we know about Dr. Manhattan and Jack Sparrow?

I feel like Dr. Manhattan wouldn't care if his patients lived or died since he left Earth during an impending nuclear annihilation, so my vote goes to Captain Jack. His eccentricity would at least liven things up around the office :p

My roommate told me freshman year that she liked men who wore makeup. So my vote is with Jack Sparrow.

:D

Hall of Champions

2) I'm pretty much gonna be posting the new vote each day whenever I feel like it, so vote EARLY!

Dr. Manhattan

vs.

JackSparrow300.jpg

Capt. Jack Sparrow

Make your case!

Well if we were vying for a spot in a MD/PhD program I would give the edge to Dr. Manhattan; but unfortunately for him our interviewer was looking for a shred of humanity in these applicants so the nod goes to Capt. Jack Sparrow as he was able to charm the pants of his interviewers.

On a side note, MIT just offered Dr. Manhattan a full ride and $40K for living expenses to join their PhD program.

My vote goes to manhatton. He could treat every patient in the hospital at once and use telekinesis for surgery.

Plus Jack would be drunk.

Tough one, but Dr. Manhattan is pretty boring, at least sparrow has some entertaining quality and probably some neat ECs. Jack Sparrow +1!

Sparrow...so damn sexy and because manhattan cant write.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Manhattan. Can't beat those stats and I loathe all things POTC.

:slap: What about Kiera Knightly?

Just for that, put me down for Jack Sparrow as well.

Last edited:
Jack Sparrow. He always seems to have women so if there were women in the interview he'd definately have their vote lol

dr. manhattan

he has greater potential to be a mega success in medicine. also, he is a war hero and not a criminal like jack :p
also..
great productivity: he can split himself up and do a bunch of tasks intelligently, he is immortal, can teleport (himself, other people, things) anywhere (could be especially helpful if he does something like transplant surgery), can see his own past present and future simultaneously (minimize risks?), probably wont want or need vacations in the future, etc. he can also create matter and reverse entropy..lol, not sure how that would make him a better med student and future doc, but it's pretty bad*ss.

also, sparrow probably cheated on his mcat and in school.

i admit doc m is rather emotionless, somewhat cold and distant... and likes being naked in public for some reason... but if you can get him to wear pants, he's pure gold as an investment!

I can't decide who would suck more during his OB-GYN rotation.

Sparrow = into women in a creepy sort of way
Manhattan = naked, yet emotionally distant, so net perviness is questionable

WTF? Captain Sparrow has my exact stats, down to the individual MCAT subsection scores. (Except writing, I did one letter better:D).

So I vote for Sparrow, since it's like voting for myself, right?

Dr. Manhattan FTW. He will live forever, meaning he can instantly bring medical science to its peak before it ever occurs (thanks to living in all times at once). Definitely going to be a rad-oncologist due to his guilt at having thought that he was giving people cancer.

Sparrow... partly because i'm not sure who the other guy is. He looks kinda intense.

Dr. Manhattan is easily the better choice. Manhattan figured out the value of human life at the end of the story so he would do everything he could to help every patient. Also, he is smarter and faster in every way imaginable compared to Sparrow. To put the nail in the coffin, Sparrow is always drunk, lies constantly, and runs away at the first sign of difficulty. Those are things you would never want in a doctor.

Jack Sparrow is my vote...next round..can we have Jack Bauer vs. the dude from Diehard LOL

OK, I unstuck this thread because I was beginning to think you guys just sort of gloss over the stickies at the top of the forum. If it looks like we get a better response this way, we'll leave it this way; if not, we'll re-stick it... so just be on the lookout at the top of the forum if it mysteriously disappears again :D

Aaaaaaaaaaaand... back to voting!

Dr. Manhattan has my vote. If i had cancer, I'd much rather go to him than sparrow, who'd probably dope me into buying fake drugs and charge me $100,000.

Dr. Manhattan has my vote. If i had cancer, I'd much rather go to him than sparrow, who'd probably dope me into buying fake drugs and charge me $100,000.

:laugh:. That was good, man.

Manhattan's naked thing might put some people off. Just sayin'. Plus, Sparrow is totally personable. He could be required to attend AA to curb the drinking habit, too.

sparrow would probably fail the cbc, so i'm going with Dr. Manhattan

Like has been said, I don't want a drunkard for a doctor. And he'd steal everything I owed while I was asleep...

We can make him put on some clothes, anyway

Lets see... the tally right now is

Jack Sparrow: 18

Dr. Manhattan: 10

Definitely Dr. Manhattan. He's already 'Doctor' so we might as well make it official. Plus, he knows every patient's outcome before each visit, so he would be very efficient. Or would we hate him for ignoring the unsalvageable?

*mind blows from predestination*

Definitely Dr. Manhattan. He's already 'Doctor' so we might as well make it official. Plus, he knows every patient's outcome before each visit, so he would be very efficient. Or would we hate him for ignoring the unsalvageable?

*mind blows from predestination*

He's Dr. Manhattan because he's a PhD. Nothing is unsalvageable for him. He just chooses not to salvage based on his knowledge of their likely treatment-less fate.

He's Dr. Manhattan because he's a PhD. Nothing is unsalvageable for him. He just chooses not to salvage based on his knowledge of their likely treatment-less fate.

Oh right I forgot he was a physicist. But he can see his own future, so he would know whether he saves someone or not in advance.

Oh right I forgot he was a physicist. But he can see his own future, so he would know whether he saves someone or not in advance.

Yes, but that assumes he doesn't change his course of action based on what he sees.

(Which is exactly what he usually does, unfortunately.)

Yes, but that assumes he doesn't change his course of action based on what he sees.

(Which is exactly what he usually does, unfortunately.)

But he can't change his course action, because to him, it is "already happening"

Come on people, vote for Sparrow. Manhattan is freaking blue, I sure as hell don't want my physician to be blue-colored.

Come on people, vote for Sparrow. Manhattan is freaking blue, I sure as hell don't want my physician to be blue-colored.

Your position is rendered null by your very own user name. :laugh:

Capt. Jack Sparrow! Remember in Pirates of the Caribbean at World's End there was one point where there was a whole ship full of Johnny Depps? Not only was that incredibly hott, but having multiple minds working on one subject will bring about a resolution faster! He's hott and efficient!