Switch Dental to Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briansle

Cell A
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody make this switch? Are the prereqs we took in undergrad still valid? Can we just take the MCAT and apply?

I'm a 27yr old, practicing dentist. I enjoy practicing dentistry, but I find medicine much more interesting, esp gen surg. I have no family obligations. And money/lifestyle mean nothing to me.

If you made this switch could you tell me what steps you took? Any any advice you can give?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody make this switch? Are the prereqs we took in undergrad still valid? Can we just take the MCAT and apply?

I'm a 27yr old, practicing dentist. I enjoy practicing dentistry, but I find medicine much more interesting, esp gen surg. I have no family obligations. And money/lifestyle mean nothing to me.

If you made this switch could you tell me what steps you took? Any any advice you can give?

thanks

I'm not in your position, but just to get a start on an answer for you, yes, any prereqs you took as an undergrad are still valid. If you've done all of them, then yeah, you technically just need the MCAT. In practice, you also need some medical volunteer experience in a hospital, and some community service. And I would assume since you are making this big change, you'll need a really good story behind the switch. Good luck!

thanks

I took the MCAT and applied. I'm 35 graduated from Dental school in 2002. Didn't have to retake any pre req's. I applied very late and am on two waitlists at this point.

I'm not in your position, but just to get a start on an answer for you, yes, any prereqs you took as an undergrad are still valid. If you've done all of them, then yeah, you technically just need the MCAT. In practice, you also need some medical volunteer experience in a hospital, and some community service. And I would assume since you are making this big change, you'll need a really good story behind the switch. Good luck!

Did not need a really good story. Obviously, I was asked why I wanted to change careers, but that was it. I don't think volunteer work/shadowing is that important at this stage since the applicant is already a doctor treating patients and most likely has worked in conjunction with other healthcare providers. In my case I had assisted an Oral Surgeon in the OR numerous times and had done hospital cases. Wasn't asked about shadowing in my interviews.