Switch from DO to MD? Is it possible, THAT is the question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ski2Doc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Ski2Doc said:

to answer your question, i would say nearly impossible...i wouldn't ever plan on doing it.

to not answer your question, why would anyone want to??

This should be interesting!!! Let the flamming begin... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
It's possible but very difficult. Go visit AAMC web site. They provide information on transfers from DO to MD schools.

Ski2Doc said:

Yes, it is possible in between the 1st & 2nd year or 2nd & 3rd year.

It is preferable that it occurs in between the 2nd & 3rd years.

Only a few MD schools will accept transfers from DO schools.

In order for you to transfer, you have to have an appropriate USMLE score AND MCAT score for admission.

In addition, there has to be empty spots in the class, and you have to beat out other MD to MD transfers.

In addition, you have to have a VERY VALID excuse for the transfer.

(i.e. family....not because you changed your mind on what degree you want.)

OSUdoc08 said:

In order for you to transfer, you have to have an appropriate USMLE score AND MCAT score for admission.

In addition, there has to be empty spots in the class, and you have to beat out other MD to MD transfers.

solid answer

Ski2Doc, I have to be honest with you. I think you should scrap wanting to go to an osteopathic school. Your threads CLEARLY show you really arn't into it, which is not a bad thing. From you threads and other topics you have brought up, why not go for the MD and make yourself happy?

OSUdoc08 said:

Ding, Ding, Ding....Exactly on point. BTW transferring in general requires a good reason.. These usually include family issues and marriage type stuff. BTW one attending I know met his wife when he was at some school in Philly (MCP/Hahnemann I think) and his wife was at Harvard.. So he got to transfer there. Talk about outkicking your coverage!

Also for a little +pad+ def do not go into DO school thinking you want to transfer. You will be miserable. If you dont think you can get into MD school right away try the SMP at RFUMS or Gtown.

Good luck..

dr.z said:
They want MCAT score on top of USMLE. That's crazy.

No, wanting to transfer from a DO to an MD school is the thing that is crazy.

They obviously aren't going to admit you into the MD school later on if they wouldn't admit you in the first place. If you have a high enough MCAT to get into the MD school in the first place, then it shouldn't matter.

USArmyDoc said:
Ski2Doc, I have to be honest with you. I think you should scrap wanting to go to an osteopathic school. Your threads CLEARLY show you really arn't into it, which is not a bad thing. From you threads and other topics you have brought up, why not go for the MD and make yourself happy?

EXACTLY! USArmyDoc beat me to this. I must say from reading most of the threads the OP has initiated or comments in other forums it truly seems he/she is not 110% about giong DO. Do yourself a favor and pursue MD if that is what you truly desire the most. You will be miserable and doing a major discourtesy to yourself, your potential DO classmates and the faculty/staff of said DO school. Your lack of interest and possibly disrespect of Osteopathic Medicine will be obvious to everyone around you. Lastly, here comes the "what ifs": What if you go through the first year or two, try to transfer and UH OH, they still don't take you? Then what?
Conversely, What If you actually LIKE what you're doing and stay the Osteopthic route? Long shot? Most likely If you're not into it all the way, then why torture yourself. If it means retaking the MCAT, yeah, thats bollocks but bite the bullet and go for it if you really really want MD.
Just my $0.02.
Cheers! :cool:

fozziewan said:
EXACTLY! USArmyDoc beat me to this. I must say from reading most of the threads the OP has initiated or comments in other forums it truly seems he/she is not 110% about giong DO. Do yourself a favor and pursue MD if that is what you truly desire the most. You will be miserable and doing a major discourtesy to yourself, your potential DO classmates and the faculty/staff of said DO school. Your lack of interest and possibly disrespect of Osteopathic Medicine will be obvious to everyone around you. Lastly, here comes the "what ifs": What if you go through the first year or two, try to transfer and UH OH, they still don't take you? Then what?
Conversely, What If you actually LIKE what you're doing and stay the Osteopthic route? Long shot? Most likely If you're not into it all the way, then why torture yourself. If it means retaking the MCAT, yeah, thats bollocks but bite the bullet and go for it if you really really want MD.
Just my $0.02.
Cheers! :cool:

Fozzie, I have an interview at UNECOM on November 30. How was it? I am really suprised at the quick turn around. My application was complete for a week and an interview was granted. I heard its an awesome school but I am concerned about two things. Maybe you could help me out.

1. Surrounding areas; In NO way am I into going out all the time. In fact, I like staying in a lot. However, I would like a surrounding area that provides some stimulation. I am more into outdoor sports though so maybe this is the place to be?

2. Board Passing Rates: 89% is not bad but it is not spectacular either. With that being said, I do not plan on just passing. I want to nail it.

*Any other information would be awesome man. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
USArmyDoc said:

You are ABSOLUTELY wrong. While i do admit that MD is my first choice, my gpa is on border line. The ONLY reason i would choose MD over DO is to make it easier for me to get a tough residency. I have NO clue about what i wont to do yet but why limit/harden my possibilites.

I have NOTHING against osteopathy. In fact i am VERY interested in it. I love the idea of OMM and the understanding of the body that it will give me. I do believe that DO will give me a better "healing" ability.

Again the ONLY reason that i would choose MD is the fact that if i want to attain a tough res, i would be able to easier. No 2 boards, no other hassles.
Another, very slight reason, is that i really dont want to explain DO to anyone. I am already doing it to family and friends and its getting CERY annoying. I can only imagine how i will do it all me life.

The reason for so many posts is that i am VERY curious. I NEED to know everything and i wont give up, EVER.

I do appreciate all the responses, but seriously dont ever doubt my genuine desire for osteopathy. I am NOT one of those "cant-get-to-md-so-do-DO" guys that isnt interested. I am VERY interested and in no way i will feel bad about taking up a seat of a "true DO wanna be", b/c a)there are very few, and b) if i do end up doing it i will do it 100%.

Seriously there is NO diff between allo or osteo, i actually believe osteo may give you a slightly better education (UNTIL residency, from then on its ALL experience and practice) but for the previoulsy stated reasons i would choose DO.

Ski2Doc said:
You are ABSOLUTELY wrong. While i do admit that MD is my first choice, my gpa is on border line. The ONLY reason i would choose MD over DO is to make it easier for me to get a tough residency. I have NO clue about what i wont to do yet but why limit/harden my possibilites.

I have NOTHING against osteopathy. In fact i am VERY interested in it. I love the idea of OMM and the understanding of the body that it will give me. I do believe that DO will give me a better "healing" ability.

Again the ONLY reason that i would choose MD is the fact that if i want to attain a tough res, i would be able to easier. No 2 boards, no other hassles.
Another, very slight reason, is that i really dont want to explain DO to anyone. I am already doing it to family and friends and its getting CERY annoying. I can only imagine how i will do it all me life.

The reason for so many posts is that i am VERY curious. I NEED to know everything and i wont give up, EVER.

I do appreciate all the responses, but seriously dont ever doubt my genuine desire for osteopathy. I am NOT one of those "cant-get-to-md-so-do-DO" guys that isnt interested. I am VERY interested and in no way i will feel bad about taking up a seat of a "true DO wanna be", b/c a)there are very few, and b) if i do end up doing it i will do it 100%.

Seriously there is NO diff between allo or osteo, i actually believe osteo may give you a slightly better education (UNTIL residency, from then on its ALL experience and practice) but for the previoulsy stated reasons i would choose DO.

Okay, if you say so. I also can pick DO and MD. I am on the opposite of you, my GPA is excellent (3.7+) but my MCAT is slightly weak. After you explained yourself Ski2Doc, I can empathize. I have very similiar concerns. Good luck to you.

Ski2Doc said:

If he's wrong then why don't you just reapply. Clearly you have stated you want MD due to "competitive residency" issues ... so forget DO and just go MD.

Ski2Doc said:

Man, I'm so lucky I went to an allopathic school so I can have an inferior understanding of the body. :laugh:

USArmyDoc said:
Fozzie, I have an interview at UNECOM on November 30. How was it? I am really suprised at the quick turn around. My application was complete for a week and an interview was granted. I heard its an awesome school but I am concerned about two things. Maybe you could help me out.

1. Surrounding areas; In NO way am I into going out all the time. In fact, I like staying in a lot. However, I would like a surrounding area that provides some stimulation. I am more into outdoor sports though so maybe this is the place to be?

2. Board Passing Rates: 89% is not bad but it is not spectacular either. With that being said, I do not plan on just passing. I want to nail it.

*Any other information would be awesome man. Thanks

if you don't mind me asking, what are your stats???

docmd2010 said:
if you don't mind me asking, what are your stats???

3.72 Overall
3.63 BCP
26N MCAT

mshheaddoc said:
If he's wrong then why don't you just reapply. Clearly you have stated you want MD due to "competitive residency" issues ... so forget DO and just go MD.

I AM reapplying.

Ski2Doc said:
I AM reapplying.

So I assume you didn't apply to DO schools the first time? That is an assumption based that you have good grades. I don't know I still don't buy it but I also don't care. Good luck dude with applications. You are going to get in somewhere and be a good doc.

I personally would never do this since I am a big fan of osteopathy...

But I remember reading in the book "Osteopathy in America" that there used to be MD schools that would basically grant DOs a MD diploma for a flat fee. Anyone ever hear of anything like this?

Dr Trek 1 said:
I personally would never do this since I am a big fan of osteopathy...

But I remember reading in the book "Osteopathy in America" that there used to be MD schools that would basically grant DOs a MD diploma for a flat fee. Anyone ever hear of anything like this?

I heard about the time when DO's could turn in their degree for a MD degree in California, but thats about it.

I heard about this. From what i heard, if you have an MD in another country and did the DO school here you could get an MD (and DO?).

This is what i HEARD.

Ski2Doc said:
I heard about this. From what i heard, if you have an MD in another country and did the DO school here you could get an MD (and DO?).

This is what i HEARD.

I have actually seen this. No wonder why these doctors have MD/DO!

When I was in medical school at Michigan State, where we have BOTH an osteopathic and and allopathic school (during the first year, the two classes take the same basic science courses), I knew of one osteopathic student who somehow made the switch to allopathic.

I also know of one classmate in the allopathic side who took the manual medicine classes, wanted to switch, but couldn't do it. It can be done, but even at MSU it wasn't easy.