Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Switch jobs for med school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pwrpfgrl, Jan 5, 2002.

1. pwrpfgrl

pwrpfgrl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,
    I've been agonizing over this for the past few days - can anyone give me some adivce?
    I finished my undergrad in 2000 and have been working in biotech - and planning to apply to med schools next year. Right now the work I do is mol. bio for agricultural research - but I have an offer at another company to do development of HIV diagnostic tools. I really like what I do now and might even be in line for a promotion, but will the HIV work look more impressive? Thanks for the help!!

2. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Don't do what will look impressive. Do what you like more. It will show if you like something or not and honestly both are science realted anyway--not that big of a difference. Being an individual and loving your job are things adcoms will look for, not what type of job you have!

Good luck!

3. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi,

Stick with your agricultural stuff, if you like it. Maybe if you were offered in agricultural vs. HIV, you should choose HIV (MAYBE). But, if you're making good progress w/ the agricultural stuff and enjoy, then stick with it.

Are you working in a company? I'm thinking of doing work in a company after I graduate before medschool. but I need advice about how to approach companies, and whether i should do company vs. univ research.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pwrpfgrl

pwrpfgrl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the help!

I do work for a pretty big company. I've actually found it's easier to find work in industry vs academia (plus, it usually pays better). Not to mention that there is a lot of money to spend on equipment and materials (no re-washing pipette tips over and over). On the other hand, it's business, so everything is driven by the bottom line and what will make a profit. I'm pretty new to it all, but it seems to me that the caliber of research is equivalent, although might be considered less "pure" by some. Hope this helps!

Noni Mousse likes this.