SWITCH TO MED SCHOOL HELP!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ariredso823

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I do not want to give to many specificis, because I do not want to upset my school but here is my situation.
I landed up going to dental school because I felt like I had pressure from my parents to go to med school, however I did not want to feel pressured. I am in dental school now in my first year and I am doing very well in science courses but I realized I hate the hands on dental stuff. I love Anatomy, histology and neuroscience and the medical sciences.
My point being is there a way to switch to medical school from dental school. My University even has a Med SchooL!

ANYONE know of a way to do this/ someone who did!

Please help

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I know of a MD to PA transfer at the same institution, and MD to MD also happens between US schools. If first year dental and med curriculum are similar, a transfer within your institution might work, but I didn't really think they were. And dental to med is generally more competitive, whereas the MD to PA student I know was going to an easier acceptance program.

If you're only a few months in, are you willing to drop out and reapply later? You'd probably need to apply next cycle to have time for MCAT + other application building, which could make the potential start date 2y away if you get in first try.

I think you should try to get into touch with some faculty you trust. You'd have to let the school know if you were applying to their affiliated med school anyway, and there are probably similar cases in the past so they could help you out. There's no point in wasting a year in dental school if it can't transfer and you hate it