switched residencies, now want to swtich back...is it possible? HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jerseygirl82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I really need some advice. If someone switches residencies from one specialty to another, then wants to switch back because you realize you made a HUGE mistake, how feasible is that? How do you go about applying for a PGY2 position in your original field? Is it possible? please help :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I really need some advice. If someone switches residencies from one specialty to another, then wants to switch back because you realize you made a HUGE mistake, how feasible is that? How do you go about applying for a PGY2 position in your original field? Is it possible? please help :confused:

It's possible, but unlikely. Having a resident stop providing cheap labor for whatever reason (illness, maternity leave, indecision) is an enormous tax on a program director's time. One of the most basic screening considerations when it comes to evaluating applicants is, "do I think that this person is going to stick with the program, or is he going to depart prematurely and leave me/us high and dry?" You will have switched not once but twice, and you are switching back into your original field. You are at a statistically increased higher risk of doing so again in the future, and that will give most program directors a reason to pause when it comes to evaluating your application. That being said, there is no structural barrier preventing you from accomplishing your goal. It may be unlikely that you will succeed, but it is not structurally impossible.

-AT.

just apply and see what happens. nothing to lose by trying. i sure am in similar shoes. and if nothing else, and you can't find it again, be thankful you are in residency at all because some of us can't even get to even having a residency again.

don't jump out of your current program program unless you have already signed the other program's contract. i'm sure you dealt with that before when switching previously and you know how to do that.

The person to start with is your original PD. Depending on the circumstances of your leaving the program they might be willing to take you back, plus you know that program and it would be the easiest to transition back into. In addition, if it's not possible, they are certain to get calls from any other program you contact so you might as well make sure that your PD knows.

Good luck with that. Whatever you do you are going to have to get a good story together and be able to answer difficult questions. It might be hard to convince people that they should take another chance on you when they could make a safer choice with someone else. That being said, if you are in a low-competitive specialty that makes it much easier. If you are trying to get back into something competitive you might want to forget about it.

If you didn't also have a few posts in the Peds forum talking about being an MS4 going into Peds, this would be more believable.

I'll reserve advice until you make it clear that you're not just a troll.

Are you asking because you're currently applying to Peds, but are worried that you may change your mind and go into another field? And then you're also worried that you may later want to switch BACK into Peds? :confused:

Hi everyone,
sorry for the confusion. I'm a MS4 applying to peds.

I asked the general question about switching residencies for my cousin. She did a year PGY-1 year (transitional year) in radiology, switched into ER and now regrets is totally. She wants to switch back however left on really bad terms with the PD of the original radiology program. I was asking for her because she is so depressed about having switched and thinks it is impossible to switch back. I was hoping to ask some more knowledgeable people in the forum. I'm not a troll. I have been reading for forum for years but just recently decided to make an account hopefully to get some other people's perspectives on this issue...was wondering if anyone else had similar problems. Someone had suggested applying again..would she have to apply as a pgy 1 transitional year again? or can she apply as a pgy-2 first year radiology program? I don't belive you can apply for pgy2 on ERAS am i wrong?

again sorry for the confusion and appreciating any help offered.. thanks

Word. So painful.

The fact that the post is somewhat confusing in and of itself doesn't help at all either. Transitional Year in Radiology? WTH?

I wonder if it's the youth of today and their less than perfect grasp of prepositions and language in general. I interpreted it as doing TY for a PGY-2 Rads spot, but canned the PGY-2 for EM.

I wonder if it's the youth of today and their less than perfect grasp of prepositions and language in general. I interpreted it as doing TY for a PGY-2 Rads spot, but canned the PGY-2 for EM.

Maybe...but that would be a Match violation in which case she'd be (as my 3yo daughter likes to say) "super duper" hosed.

Instead of the regular hosed she is now.

She wants to switch back however left on really bad terms with the PD of the original radiology program.

Unfortunately, I think that doesn't leave her with many options. Most of the time when applying for a new residency spot, they'll want at least a letter from your old PD. If the old PD gives an indication that there were problems, I don't think most residencies will want to take a chance on a "problem resident" - especially in a field like rads where they can be picky.
It would probably be best if your cousin plans on finishing the EM residency. Maybe she would be satisfied with pursuing an Ultrasound fellowship from EM?

Last edited:
Maybe she would be satisfied with pursuing an Ultrasound fellowship from EM?

Agree with the rest of your post. But in most cases, an EM US fellowship just means you're really good with the wand and can teach others to use and interpret it in an urgent/emergent setting. It won't allow one to sit in the reading room and sign off on all the studies done around the hospital. Depending on institution, it may allow you to interpret, sign off on and bill your own studies but it's not like you're going to be stealing much business from radiology or setting up your own private US group.

*shrug*. Just trying to think of some way to incorporate her interest in rads into her current situation, since the odds are so low she'll be able to get back into rads.

I can't quote the last posting cause it hurts my eyes too.

However, long and short IMHO is this:

1. last I checked, rads is fairly competitive, ~more applicants then spots
2. The scenario is a resident leaving a competitive field under sub-optimal circumstances/unhappy PD

I do not see an individual now being able to obtain a second bite at this premium apple. You leave with the PD unhappy you burn a bridge to not just that program but likely the door back into the field. Never say never, but not a realistic expectation to bounce back.

my apologies for the pink writing :)

sorry if it was still confusing i guess i dont completely understand how it works. She did do a transition year though.

And thanks for all the advice. She had told me it was near impossible, I had recommended her to try to go on here or ask some people who really know, but she had just told me it was a waste of time because she won't get back in since she left the PD on bad terms.

Regardless, thanks for the insight and help.

one more question,
can you apply for a PGY-2 spot through ERAS? (pgy-2 meaning second year but first year Rads --sorry for my ignorance if i'm saying this wrong)

I did not notice it when I applied this year. How do people usually switch as a second year? Is it only possible through "residency swap" website? Do you have to know someone? or is there a real way of doing it

You can absolutely do it. They're called "Advanced Programs" and they start in the PGY-2. Your friend will know this -- they matched in a TY for their PGY-1 and into Rads for their PGY-2.