Switched to Pre-dental in Summer before Junior Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monipmac

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I just made a the switch to the dental field basically the beginning of my junior. So, now I'm taking science classes. I plan on taking a gap year or two in order to get more experience in the field before applying. Do you guys have any tips on what I should so? I've already started volunteering in the Dental Clinics at my school and joined the pre-dental club at my school. I'm also taking a ceramics class right now.

I've been reading a lot of places that a master's degree would be recommended for a gap year. Do you guys know any schools that have master's degree tailored to going in to the dental school after?
I know Nova has one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I did the same thing. My advice would be to take a heavy course-load and kill your senior year. You can do a masters to better your chances if you don't think you're competitive after senior year. Temple, Tufts, and other schools have them I believe. The dental clinic (50+ or 100+ hours), pre-dental club, and another hobby would look good on an application to me. I'd recommend shadowing different dentists in private practice, too.

I know BU had a program where you take some classes with the dental students. If you get into BU after you can skip those.