Switching back to a CC because U was too small

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLaCoPHaRm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken most of my pre-reqs from a community college (Miami-Dade College) and after I received my A.A. I decided to transfer to a small private univeristy in Miami. Now small is an understatement, there are 7-14 students per class most of the time. The problem I had with the school was that because of their limited faculty, they offered only certain classes per semester. This made graduating a bit slower. I spent a semester there, took genetics and physio as far as sciences courses go and ace'd them. However, I realized that I might not enter pharm school for a long while if I stuck around at the small university.

I am going back to my community college, which offers every class in every semester, including summer. I am able to take physics, and orgo together and all that stuff. Saves me a lot of time.

I am taking one last course at he university, anatomy. Reason being is that I joined the university during spring 2011 where they only offered physio (anatomy is only during the fall, so I actually started backwards). I aced that but now since my comm. college only offers A&P together as A&P 1 and 2 I would have to take them both. So I decided to do anatomy at the university.

That is obviously going to show up in the transcripts, how would go about explaining the situation in PS. Should tell them exactly what I told you folks? School was too small, blah blah, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I would spin it as "I wasn't able to get the advanced courses I wanted at the University" rather than "the Uni was too small so I went to CC." If you do want to speak to it, I might mention what skills Uni taught you so you can put it in a positive light.

I think the trick is to not sound negative / judgemental. What specifically convinced you that the Uni wasn't for you? (Are you scheduling around work / volunteering?) I wouldn't say the Uni was "too small" unless it is just known to be tiny. Besides, what if you're applying to a small pharmacy school? Better to be more specific & not risk accidentally alienating a school that prides itself on having a "small college" atmosphere.

You make a valid point...thank you for that. You are completely right about the possibility of alienating myself or turning off an interviewer by mentioning that. Thanks again!

In all honesty the school is extremely research oriented and is heavy on biology. Most of the faculty are Ph.D's in biology. I was slowly realizing that their "pre-professional" program was just a dressed up B.S. in biology and I wasn't interested. I should have researched their program more. A bio major

I guess I can go along those lines and work with that, I will make to keep my statements in a positive light though, just as you mentioned. Thanks again for the great advice you totally put it in a new light, I had not realized I was coming across in a judgmental manner.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For clarity, I don't think it sounds too judgemental - to me personally. Whenever I hear someone say flat out it was "too xyz," I'm worried it'll be a turn-off because different people mean different things & have different frames of reference. "Too small" seems to be a shorthand label for the reasons why you left the Uni.

Anyway, even though it was a major decision for you, I wouldn't dwell on it if it were my PS - a succinct explanation is best in my opinion. By the way, I'm glad you found a program that fits your needs better. Good luck! :luck:

I feel obligated to mention that I'm also a first-time applicant, so "in my opinion" means just that - probably no more educated on the process than yours. :p

Anyone else have any advice for FLaCoPHaRm?

For clarity, I don't think it sounds too judgemental - to me personally. Whenever I hear someone say flat out it was "too xyz," I'm worried it'll be a turn-off because different people mean different things & have different frames of reference. "Too small" seems to be a shorthand label for the reasons why you left the Uni.

Anyway, even though it was a major decision for you, I wouldn't dwell on it if it were my PS - a succinct explanation is best in my opinion. By the way, I'm glad you found a program that fits your needs better. Good luck! :luck:

I feel obligated to mention that I'm also a first-time applicant, so "in my opinion" means just that - probably no more educated on the process than yours. :p

Anyone else have any advice for FLaCoPHaRm?

I understand but at least you gave me a new perspective. I am just going to finish my pre-reqs, maintain a 3.8 and do my best in the PCAT.