Switching CNA jobs after only a few months

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpr0719

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I've been working as a CNA at a long-term care facility since June for around 300 hours. It's given me some good insights into healthcare but I'd really like to get some experience as a CNA in a hospital setting.

I'm planning on applying to med school during the 2022-23 cycle and I'm wondering if having CNA experience at 2 different places for about 5-6 months each will be viewed negatively compared to sticking with the nursing home for a year? I'm also considering how changing locations would impact asking for a letter of rec.

Members don't see this ad.

Get out of being a CNA while you can...find something better paying with a chance to get some real references. I was a CNA for 6 months full-time. Not worth the extreme workload and stress, low-pay, chronic understaffing that plagues CNAs. Look into something more interesting like MA, EMT.

I think it would be a very good thing to get real experience as a CNA in a hospital! Like the other comment said I would also recommend trying to get in a position where you get to work a little more closely with physicians. If the hospital is fairly big, as a CNA you probably wouldn't be able to ask a physician for a letter because you'll barely see them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! I've been working as a CNA at a long-term care facility since June for around 300 hours. It's given me some good insights into healthcare but I'd really like to get some experience as a CNA in a hospital setting.

I'm planning on applying to med school during the 2022-23 cycle and I'm wondering if having CNA experience at 2 different places for about 5-6 months each will be viewed negatively compared to sticking with the nursing home for a year? I'm also considering how changing locations would impact asking for a letter of rec.
Getting a year of experience in the hospital would give you some great stories to put in your personal statement.

Totally fine to switch, especially because you can articulate why. It's considered a good thing to seek the best opportunities available. Doesn't look like job hopping unless this is happening with 3+ jobs every handful of months with no good reason. Good reasons: higher pay, better location/hours, preferred mission of new organization, more relevant experience. Bad reasons: repeated clashes with management, repeated "bad fits", disciplinary action.