Switching concentrations at Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impecunious

is too legit to quit...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is addressed to former/current students at Emory, or anyone that can shed light on this:

1. Is it fairly easy to switch concentrations at RSPH, or have they made it pretty difficult?

Sorry if this question has already been asked/addressed.

Thanks!

~impecunious

Members don't see this ad.

i had asked this question to an admissions counselor before and i went to an RSPH open house back in september and a few students had asked this question as well. according to them, it is nearly impossible to switch concentrations..their reasoning is that you have already been rejected once so you'd probably be rejected again since your application is exactly the same as it was the first time you applied and got rejected to whatever program you are trying to switch over to..and they said they would give preference to incoming applicants b/c some of them would probably be better suited to whatever program than you may be.

Thanks for the info Snoofle!

I'm a little bummed out hearing about this. It puts a bit of a damper on things now for me. What if I find out the concentration that I am pursuing no longer fits into what I want. Then what do I do? There are definitely people that are certain about their field. And there is no doubt that I want to do public health, but my concentration...? Geez (sigh) I may end up deciding that Biostats or Global Health, or BSHE is better aligned with what I want. I'm just saying..its a possibility!

Hmm... see the flexibility to switch concentrations should be there. I know grad schools like Stanford, Yale, MIT allow you to switch.

This is making me rethink things now. Just what I need, more thinking!:eek: Do I want to attend a school where there are restrictions on my pursuit of my dreams? Ugh..:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
yea it is tough decision to make..what is your concentration now and what do you want to switch to?

i remember one girl who specifically was wondering if she could switch from epi to global epi and the admissions counselor almost laughed at her b/c she made it clear that global health and global epi are the hardest concentrations to get into b/c they are the most popular fields of choice by most students

It's health policy. Sorry let me clarify. I'm not saying I want to change it as of now... just "what if" later on down the road.

What is your area?

is there any one else with different experiences? I emailed the admissions office asking this and they didnt even get back to me. they usually are quite quick to respond.