Switching from a competitive specialty to.. anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedMD2020

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a resident in a competitive surgical subspecialty at a research institution. I had my doubts about this field from the moment I began interviews, but chickened out when it came to pulling out of the match. I'm thankful to have secured a spot, but I am really interested in switching to another specialty.

Does anyone have experience with changing residencies? My main questions are
1) How did you tell your program/when did you tell them?
2) what was the reaction? Were they supportive?
3) did you apply again through ERAS, or did you simply email programs with open positions?
4) where did you find open positions?

I know this is unorthodox, but I feel like if I don't pursue this I'll always regret it. And before I make any rash decisions I'd love to hear from anyone else who has been through it.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Based on your only other post, it appears you're just one month into intern year. Give it another couple of months before you make life-altering decisions. Realistically, you're not going to cobble together a brand new ERAS application by 9/15, so there's not much point in seriously considering this until October-November. If you're still feeling this way around then, that still gives you some time to consider other options before you have to decide whether to re-up for 2nd year.

Reactions: 1 user
Based on your only other post, it appears you're just one month into intern year. Give it another couple of months before you make life-altering decisions. Realistically, you're not going to cobble together a brand new ERAS application by 9/15, so there's not much point in seriously considering this until October-November. If you're still feeling this way around then, that still gives you some time to consider other options before you have to decide whether to re-up for 2nd year.

I agree but this year applications are actually due around late october so it works out a little better

if you really want to switch you should pursue a switch. If there is another field you think would better fit your life goals you should transfer. That said, you should have a specific idea in mind so you don’t end up hating the specialty you switch into.

I am a resident in a competitive surgical subspecialty at a research institution. I had my doubts about this field from the moment I began interviews, but chickened out when it came to pulling out of the match. I'm thankful to have secured a spot, but I am really interested in switching to another specialty.

What are you in and what field are you considering?

Haven’t done it myself but know those who have. Definitely agree give it a little more time. Intern year generally sucks and is nothing like the actual practice of medicine in any field.

If you still want to switch then the first move is meeting with your PD. If you meet early and are honest they can be a huge help to you. You are neither the first nor the last person to switch careers intern year.

Honestly everyone I’ve known who did this was extremely successful and really glad they switched fields. They’ve all landed top tier residencies and/or gone on to awesome attending jobs. Nobody wants a resident who isn’t happy so once you make the final decision, get your PD on your side and start making moves.

Reactions: 1 user