Switching from Dentistry to PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basketball_grey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So with the cost of dental school for me being about 250,000 when all is said and done and the cost for PA school being 45,000 I am starting to think PA may be the better route. Granted less earning capability for the PA and one year would need to be taken to apply. I am just scared about having to pay back the expensive dental education debt and what that could mean for my future as a dentist. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Does it matter to you being called an assistant, or seen as second-class, in a hospital setting into your late 50s by freshly graduated med students in their 20s? If not, then PA is a great career.

Reactions: 1 users
250k for dental school now a days is a complete steal. Most students pay more than double that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For $250K? Absolutely.
If you can get into dental school and graduate with only that much debt, take it and don't think twice.

Do what you love and will enjoy, and the money will follow.

If that's all that motivates you then pick the easier route. Because reading those dental loan statements every quarter will make you question your choice again. On the other hand, if you choose the PA route, you may end up regretting why you didn't choose to maximize your earning potential and get the doctorate degree. Grass is greener syndrome lol.

So with the cost of dental school for me being about 250,000 when all is said and done and the cost for PA school being 45,000 I am starting to think PA may be the better route. Granted less earning capability for the PA and one year would need to be taken to apply. I am just scared about having to pay back the expensive dental education debt and what that could mean for my future as a dentist. Thoughts?

The professions are pretty different, at least if you wanted to own your own practice as a dentist.

There are several ways to mitigate the cost of dental school, so it really comes down to which profession you actually prefer.