Switching from engineering to pre med...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Russell7

Just wondering if it looks bad when you switch majors. I entered Unviversity as a geology major. I literally found the material too elementary, and instead chose to do engineering, which is still a technical field. Now, in my second year of engineering, it's taken me several visits to the doctor (due to some health problems) to make me realize that I want to go to med school.

Does switching one's major look bad? I'm thinking about majoring in biochemistry...

I don't exactly want to finish my engineering degree. The material is going to ruin my GPA if I stay in this faculty (work and class load is absolutely insane at my school), and I find the material extremely boring.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if it looks bad when you switch majors. I entered Unviversity as a geology major. I literally found the material too elementary, and instead chose to do engineering, which is still a technical field. Now, in my second year of engineering, it's taken me several visits to the doctor (due to some health problems) to make me realize that I want to go to med school.

Does switching one's major look bad? I'm thinking about majoring in biochemistry...

I don't exactly want to finish my engineering degree. The material is going to ruin my GPA if I stay in this faculty (work and class load is absolutely insane at my school), and I find the material extremely boring.

No, it doesn't look bad at all. In fact, how will med schools even know? If you hate engineering, get out of it and do something you like. It will be the best academic decision you'll ever make at this point.

Please make sure your drive to go into medicine is based on more than just your visits to the doctor. I was an engineer first and then switched to premed, but it was a long journey for me and it was filled with alot of self discovery (sounds cheesy but hey its true so sue me). If you don't want to do engineering, fine, but make sure what you want to do next is something you actually want to do.

Switching majors doesn't look bad to med schools, as long as you aren't doing it just to get a higher gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Switching your major doesn't look bad. Unless an adcom scrutinizes your courses very cafefully, they probably won't even know you switched at all. Just be sure that you'd enjoy biochem and aren't doing it solely because you think it will get you into medical school. You can major in poetry, you can major in engineering, or you can major in traditional biology and still be pre-med. You just have to be interested (excited?) about your major's subject matter, as this will inevitably show through in effort and grades. You'll probably get asked about why you chose the subject you did on the interview trail and in secondaries, and trust me, they'll be able to tell if you're enthused about your studies.

Thanks guys. To remove any doubt, I've always (deep down) wanted to go to med school. The medical profession is dense in my immediate family, and I've had some exposure to it. However, I didn't think that I was smart enough to do it (pessimistic), and I never pursued it going into second year. My grades from second semester of first year came back and I nailed a 3.9 GPA for my first year (to my surprise).

Anyway, the icing on the cake has been my doctor's visits. I've gotten a lot more exposure to treatment, etc. I've been doing some research on pathology, and it seems like a very interesting field, to me. Trust me when I say that I'm not one of those that pursues medicine for money or prestige (I'm not looking to go into derma or cosmetic surgery here).

I like all areas of science. Physics, chemistry, biology, and math. I feel that biochemistry exposes me to most of them, and doesn't limit me to one area. This is why I'm considering biochemistry. My grandpa is very good friends with a guy that owns a medical practice, so maybe I could intern there (this guy actually lives across the street from me; I live at my grandpa's).

I like all areas of science. Physics, chemistry, biology, and math. I feel that biochemistry exposes me to most of them, and doesn't limit me to one area. This is why I'm considering biochemistry. My grandpa is very good friends with a guy that owns a medical practice, so maybe I could intern there (this guy actually lives across the street from me; I live at my grandpa's).

What kind of engineering are you doing? For what it's worth, biomedical or chemical engineering might suit your fancy.

Also, switching from an engineering major to a "premed major" is a horribly weaksauce statement. There is no such thing as "the premed major". Pick your major based on what you like, and, foreseeably, what you can get A's in. Engineering's too tough? Fine. Biochem floats your boat? Then switch.

Finally, please spare the adcom the misery of reading the cookie-cutter "Dr. X treated me when I was <insert time of health need> and this inspired me to go into medicine!"

(PS I was a BME and I would encourage that major as the best major for multidisciplinary integration of physics, chem, bio, and math)

What kind of engineering are you doing? For what it's worth, biomedical or chemical engineering might suit your fancy.

Also, switching from an engineering major to a "premed major" is a horribly weaksauce statement. There is no such thing as "the premed major". Pick your major based on what you like, and, foreseeably, what you can get A's in. Engineering's too tough? Fine. Biochem floats your boat? Then switch.

Finally, please spare the adcom the misery of reading the cookie-cutter "Dr. X treated me when I was <insert time of health need> and this inspired me to go into medicine!"

(PS I was a BME and I would encourage that major as the best major for multidisciplinary integration of physics, chem, bio, and math)

lol, don't worry, I'm not going to use a cliche statement like that in interview, whether or not it was the truth.

I'm in mechanical engineering. I take classes from all areas of engineering in mech E, and none of them interests me like science does. Truth be told, I really miss science. I took first year chemistry while in geology, and I really miss the style of labs (actual labs, not paper labs), and the teaching style. I'm absolutely sick of engineering (already).

Also, about the 'weaksauce' statement. You misread what I said. From my title, I meant that I'm switching from an engineering career path to a medical career path.

I'm in mechanical engineering. I take classes from all areas of engineering in mech E, and none of them interests me like science does. Truth be told, I really miss science. I took first year chemistry while in geology, and I really miss the style of labs (actual labs, not paper labs), and the teaching style. I'm absolutely sick of engineering (already).

Mech E isn't really the right engineering for you. Like I said earlier, at least check out BME before you go hopping over to biochem because of its alluring sciency-ness. You'll get PLENTY of memorize-all-this-**** science, between the premed requirements that you have to do anyway (3 credit hours each of gen bio, gen chem, gen physics, orgo, and then lab hours in each of them as well) and all the basic science they jam down your throat in MS yr1 and MS yr2.

In my undergrad BME curriculum, we looked at everything from molecular biology (eg. transcriptional control mechanisms, diffusion kinetics, receptor-ligand interactions) to cell scale (biochemical pathways and cell communication interactions) all the way up to organ scale (e.g. biomechanics). We had coursework in chemistry, cell & molecular biology, physiology, biotransport, bioelectricity, genetic engineering, tissue engineering, to name a few. And being engineers, we looked at things quantitatively and looked for ways to APPLY the science.

Don't forget to have fun classes too. I can see how reconciling a curriculum in MechE while hitting the premed classes would saturate your schedule... again, BME and ChemE probably wouldn't be as bad as MechE. I started out CS and switched to BME because after a while I hated CS, didn't want to be a software engineer, and it was a pain to do both the CS classes and sciences because the overlap was insubstantial. So dropping the MechE is definitely a good move, to say the least, and like others said earlier the schools don't really mind.

Yeah, I looked into BioE, but my University doesn't actually offer it. It offers options in Bio, which is really just a few tech electives that Electrical E's and Chemical E's can take. So basically, the few tech electives that I do get, where I'd need to take pre med courses, would be filled with bioE tech electives. It's not exactly feasible.

I'm actually very good at memorization. Maybe not better than I am in math, but I'm still good at it.

Believe me, I've looked into ways to stay in engineering and still do pre-med, since I've taken engineering courses already (even though I dont' exactly want to stay in engineering). It just doesn't seem plausible.

If you want I'll show you the curriculum for engineering at my school:

http://www.registrar.ualberta.ca/pdfcal/06-07calendarpdf/Engineering.pdf

Oddly enough, they actually don't even give you enough options to get all med prereqs done.

Yeah, I looked into BioE, but my University doesn't actually offer it. It offers options in Bio, which is really just a few tech electives that Electrical E's and Chemical E's can take. So basically, the few tech electives that I do get, where I'd need to take pre med courses, would be filled with bioE tech electives. It's not exactly feasible.

I'm actually very good at memorization. Maybe not better than I am in math, but I'm still good at it.

If you are good in math and enjoy it, why not just do a math major? Ive taken through partial diff eq (much worse than diff eq) and enjoyed it... You said you are good at math, make your undergrad as enjoyable as possible classwise. There arent that many prereqs for med school, but if this isn't feasable I liked biochem...

If you are good in math and enjoy it, why not just do a math major? Ive taken through partial diff eq (much worse than diff eq) and enjoyed it... You said you are good at math, make your undergrad as enjoyable as possible classwise. There arent that many prereqs for med school, but if this isn't feasable I liked biochem...

Well, I'm finishing up second year calculus right now, and I'm also in differential equations. Both are ok (find them easy, but kind of boring, actually). I've thought about math majoring, actually. They get a lot of options to take different courses.

My most enjoyable moments in University thus far have probably been my EAS (earth atmospheric science) and Chemistry labs. I like hands on stuff. Math comes very quick to me, which makes it attractive, but it's very monotonous at the same time. "Find the particular solution to the given diff eqn such that the inverse laplace transformation is ......"

Again, I've thought about it. Second semester this year, I'm going to be taking all med prereqs, and I wont have to decide on a degree until I reapply to Uni this spring. This winter I'll be takign bio 1, bio 2, stats, english, and an arts elective. My uni doesn't offer organic chem 1 in winter, so I am taking orgo 1 and 2 in spring/summer terms.

Proof that engineers are smarter than doctors.

Proof that engineers are smarter than doctors.

Well, to be fair, by "ruin", I meant fall below 3.8. Although yes, I agree that engineering is MUCH harder than science.

There are many not-so-smart people in Engineering, though. You don't need to be a genius to become an engineer. You need to be a genius to pull off a 3.9+ in engineering.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest that if you really really want to switch majors then go ahead it isn't going to look bad... But if you are switching majors from engineering to Biochem because you think that this will help you to get into med school in anyway FORGET!!! Stick with the engineering, as a matter of fact an engineering degree can give you a sense of diversity in the process thats if you grad. with a good gpa and good mcat's,.... Saying that, med schools dn't care if your engineering or an art major they care that you have your Pre-Req's down pact and that you show them you are ready to go to their schools.... Just my 2 centz...:D So I believe you should follow your heart and do what you beleive is correct!!!!!!!:)

Well, to be fair, by "ruin", I meant fall below 3.8. Although yes, I agree that engineering is MUCH harder than science.

There are many not-so-smart people in Engineering, though. You don't need to be a genius to become an engineer. You need to be a genius to pull off a 3.9+ in engineering.

You need to be very smart just to do well enough in the pre-req's to get in to an engineering program and to do well enough to graduate with a degree in engineering.

Engineering is definetely a science.

Engineering majors demolish the MCAT. Especially PS. Here's to a 14 or 15. Right now I gotta work on Verbal and some Orgo. But MCAT math is a joke.

(Only do engr if you like it, of course, and not for the perk of its boot camp style training in becoming a quantitative Jedi master.)

Engineering majors demolish the MCAT. Especially PS. Here's to a 14 or 15. Right now I gotta work on Verbal and some Orgo. But MCAT math is a joke.

(Only do engr if you like it, of course, and not for the perk of its boot camp style training in becoming a quantitative Jedi master.)

Good to hear... I'm actually almost finished all of the math that mece's take.. just have one course on numerical methods that I'd have to take.

Mech E isn't really the right engineering for you. Like I said earlier, at least check out BME before you go hopping over to biochem because of its alluring sciency-ness. You'll get PLENTY of memorize-all-this-**** science, between the premed requirements that you have to do anyway (3 credit hours each of gen bio, gen chem, gen physics, orgo, and then lab hours in each of them as well) and all the basic science they jam down your throat in MS yr1 and MS yr2.

In my undergrad BME curriculum, we looked at everything from molecular biology (eg. transcriptional control mechanisms, diffusion kinetics, receptor-ligand interactions) to cell scale (biochemical pathways and cell communication interactions) all the way up to organ scale (e.g. biomechanics). We had coursework in chemistry, cell & molecular biology, physiology, biotransport, bioelectricity, genetic engineering, tissue engineering, to name a few. And being engineers, we looked at things quantitatively and looked for ways to APPLY the science.

Don't forget to have fun classes too. I can see how reconciling a curriculum in MechE while hitting the premed classes would saturate your schedule... again, BME and ChemE probably wouldn't be as bad as MechE. I started out CS and switched to BME because after a while I hated CS, didn't want to be a software engineer, and it was a pain to do both the CS classes and sciences because the overlap was insubstantial. So dropping the MechE is definitely a good move, to say the least, and like others said earlier the schools don't really mind.

I did BME at Hopkins and it whupped my ass

Don't change. I am an engineer and i just got accepted to med-school. I did engineering as a backup plan. If I don't like the field of medicine I can always go back. plus if you don't make it to medschool Biochem is a tough field to make a living

Don't change. I am an engineer and i just got accepted to med-school. I did engineering as a backup plan. If I don't like the field of medicine I can always go back. plus if you don't make it to medschool Biochem is a tough field to make a living

My backup plan isn't engineering... it's law. If I don't get into med school, I'll apply to law school, or dentistry school. Biochem is a fine undergrad for either of those.

My backup plan isn't engineering... it's law. If I don't get into med school, I'll apply to law school, or dentistry school. Biochem is a fine undergrad for either of those.

That's fine you have a backup, but remember that things may happen and you may feel burned out, you may decide you also don't enjoy law or dentistry...so it's good to come out with a major that gives you marketable skills.

I knew so many premeds that did not do that and for whatever reason (didn't like law school, couldn't get into med school, found out research wasn't to their liking and they were chem/bio/biochem etc) and found themselves forced to find a job with their undergrad degree and the job market is tough to people of certain majors. I worked for a few years post graduation but I was gung ho about med school as any hardcore premed up through my sophomore year. I got burned out, did some other stuff and ended up back in med school (currently getting creamed by anatomy but that's another story....). However, I'm glad I didn't depend on my literature major to support me. I found a job fairly easily with my computer science degree and enjoyed having money, going out etc, and paying back my debt (debt free!!). I knew friends who didn't think about their job prospects until they were forced to find a job and they had to either take crap jobs or be unemployed. The thing is, no one knows what the future may bring, better to spend the present ensuring that whatever you do, you can minimize your obstacles.

That's fine you have a backup, but remember that things may happen and you may feel burned out, you may decide you also don't enjoy law or dentistry...so it's good to come out with a major that gives you marketable skills.

I knew so many premeds that did not do that and for whatever reason (didn't like law school, couldn't get into med school, found out research wasn't to their liking and they were chem/bio/biochem etc) and found themselves forced to find a job with their undergrad degree and the job market is tough to people of certain majors. I worked for a few years post graduation but I was gung ho about med school as any hardcore premed up through my sophomore year. I got burned out, did some other stuff and ended up back in med school (currently getting creamed by anatomy but that's another story....). However, I'm glad I didn't depend on my literature major to support me. I found a job fairly easily with my computer science degree and enjoyed having money, going out etc, and paying back my debt (debt free!!). I knew friends who didn't think about their job prospects until they were forced to find a job and they had to either take crap jobs or be unemployed. The thing is, no one knows what the future may bring, better to spend the present ensuring that whatever you do, you can minimize your obstacles.

The only thing burning me out are my boring engineering lectures. Furthermore, staying in engineering creates the obstacle of being in a harder and more demanding program, while trying to get a high GPA, MCAT score, and good extra curriculars.

See how this conflicts with your logic?

if you enjoy math I would definitely consider chemE...it obviously depends on the program, but a lot of it is more math than it is chemistry. Like someone else said, an engineering degree is good preparation for the MCAT and you'll be able to take a lot of pre-reqs as major course requirements. Also it's a pretty effing good backup plan should you decide not to go to medschool, and it'll just be good preparation overall. Don't worry about your major ruining your GPA, just learn to work hasrder :)

if you enjoy math I would definitely consider chemE...it obviously depends on the program, but a lot of it is more math than it is chemistry. Like someone else said, an engineering degree is good preparation for the MCAT and you'll be able to take a lot of pre-reqs as major course requirements. Also it's a pretty effing good backup plan should you decide not to go to medschool, and it'll just be good preparation overall. Don't worry about your major ruining your GPA, just learn to work hasrder :)

I don't think you realize what engineering is like up here. I have profs that came from MIT, saying that the material that we do here is harder than it is there (Canadian, especially Albertan engineering programs are subject to extremely high standards, since it's already a professional program).

There's no such thing as majoring in engineering (aka you can't choose a minor, etc., and there are almost no electives). The engineering program is a professional program, designed to produce highly trained individuals for engineering jobs, and people's GPA's really take a hit because of this. I could try to tough it out, but what's the point if I despise engineering as much as I've already explained? It wouldn't be a viable backup plan because I would never want to do it.

I did BME at Hopkins and it whupped my ass

Ditto at Duke. I think it's funny how a lot of the best students ended up in consulting or other finance related jobs from there. From what I know of my friends and classmates and offers we've seen, a BME GPA is good for anything you want to do (any type of professional school/job) except med school.

<Soapbox> Where exactly does everyone get the idea that engineering is not science? How does the integration of a wide range of scientific principles to solve a problem or conduct an experiment not equal science? By that definition I suppose medicine is not a science either. Frankly, if you look at senior engineering majors and senior chemistry or biology majors, the engineering students are designing and conducting their own experiments to solve assigned problems, and the 'science' majors are reading cookbook "experiments" and following the step by steps to get a result that can be predicted without even bothering to DO the experiment. Which one sounds more like science to you?? (Full disclosure: I'm a MechE :)) </soapbox>

I also have to say, you're wanting to go to MEDICAL SCHOOL, and you're complaining about your undergrad classes being too hard so you should change majors? Guess what, medical school is hard too! When you come across an obstacle or difficulty, don't wuss out and go around it, just do the work and make the grade! Engineering is hard, yes, but the people who do poorly in engineering don't do so because they're stupid. They do poorly because they are LAZY. Medical school is an exercise in putting your shoulder down and muscling through the material, so if you're not ready to do that, reconsider med school too. BTW, this isn't really directed at the OP or any other individual, just all the folks I've seen over the years wanting to change majors because their GPA might take a hit. If you think your GPA is gonna take a hit, WORK HARDER.

<Soapbox> Where exactly does everyone get the idea that engineering is not science? How does the integration of a wide range of scientific principles to solve a problem or conduct an experiment not equal science? By that definition I suppose medicine is not a science either. Frankly, if you look at senior engineering majors and senior chemistry or biology majors, the engineering students are designing and conducting their own experiments to solve assigned problems, and the 'science' majors are reading cookbook "experiments" and following the step by steps to get a result that can be predicted without even bothering to DO the experiment. Which one sounds more like science to you?? (Full disclosure: I'm a MechE :)) </soapbox>

Engineering is much more of an applied field than it is a pure science.

The only thing burning me out are my boring engineering lectures. Furthermore, staying in engineering creates the obstacle of being in a harder and more demanding program, while trying to get a high GPA, MCAT score, and good extra curriculars.

See how this conflicts with your logic?

Well, actually it doesn't conflict with my logic. I said you should try to find a major that would give you marketable skills in case you need/decide to work, it doesn't have to be engineering---I just used myself as an example. Also, didn't you mention you want to do biochem? I believe biochem is relative difficult as majors go and it won't pad your GPA anymore than an engineering program would. FWIW, during my interviews, my GPA was not considered an issue despite being below the mean for acceptees since I was an engineering major and 'we know engineers have it tough'. Of course, I also didn't fail my courses so......

I have a few friends who are doing BME. Math is one of my strong points and I cannot imagine how someone can pull off a high GPA while doing BME. People doing BME and other engineering degrees are some of the smartest people I have met.

Engineering is much more of an applied field than it is a pure science.

Your point being that engineers learn science and then use it, whereas sci majors learn science and then teach it?

no his point being that a lot of pure science is about research and developing theories while a lot of engineering is about applying those theories. Obviously both of them branch over and it's a generalization, but creating something in a lab is very different to mass producing a marketable product.

You make engineers sound like assembly line workers. All those products that are manufactured? Yeah, they have to be developed in a lab first. Go ask any engineering faculty at your school what they do. Research and development of theories. It's just that they happen to research and develop theories on useful things rather than (for example) spending years and millions ramming particles together to make a single atom of a new larger element that lasts for a femtosecond. I'm not knocking the pure science folks, we all have to work together to get anything done, but sci majors tend to take this snobbish attitude toward engineers that is totally unwarranted, especially amongst the undergrad crowd, where the engineers are far more like scientists than the bio/chem/physics majors. It's silly, and smacks of either elitism or jealousy over the fact that the eng. major will actually be able to find a job job.

i'm an engineer...:rolleyes:

If you had read what I wrote you would see that I SPECIFICALLY said both of them branch over, as in there are pure science people (applied physics anyone?) who create applications, much like there are engineers that do research. As far as creating an atom that only lasts for a femtosecond, science isn't always about creating something immediately useful, it's about the future implications. Hell many developments have come about from scientists trying to do something completely different.

but sci majors tend to take this snobbish attitude toward engineers that is totally unwarranted, especially amongst the undergrad crowd, where the engineers are far more like scientists than the bio/chem/physics majors. It's silly, and smacks of either elitism or jealousy over the fact that the eng. major will actually be able to find a job.

Talk about snobby elitism...

*munches on popcorn* :p

i'm an engineer...:rolleyes:

If you had read what I wrote you would see that I SPECIFICALLY said both of them branch over, as in there are pure science people (applied physics anyone?) who create applications, much like there are engineers that do research. As far as creating an atom that only lasts for a femtosecond, science isn't always about creating something immediately useful, it's about the future implications. Hell many developments have come about from scientists trying to do something completely different.

Talk about snobby elitism...

nah, I'm not arguing with what you were saying there, other than what may have been a misperception of your mass production comment. I agree that each field is important. I don't have any problem in the world with sci majors or their chosen fields, I'm just responding to a common attitude I've seen on these boards regarding engineering not being a scientific field. These arguments have been had on this board many times though, and I don't guess it's really worth arguing about, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

I'm a mechanical engineering major doing pre-med. I made the decision about a medical career in the spring semester of my sophmore year. The biggest problem with Mech E is that there are many required courses, and the pre-med sciences and labs added two semesters to my schooling. But now I'm finished witht the MCAT and the sciences, and just waiting to apply in May.

It feels good to be an engineer pre-med because it definetely makes you stand out, and make other pre-meds intimidated. Also, it is great background if later you want to do something with orthopedics or spine devices.

I appreciate the feedback. Keep in mind that, no, I'm not wussing out. But I don't feel like I need to be harder on myself than I already am. Keep in mind that I'm in an engineering on part with the difficulty of MIT's, and that med schools in Canada are generally more competitive than they are in the states. I think close to 50% of those that apply to med school in the states get into SOMEWHERE that they applied, where in Canada it's actually closer to 20%. We have very few med schools for the amount of med school applicants that we have, and it's a huge problem since we therefore don't have many doctors to fit our population.

The truth is that I'm already sick of engineering in the beginning of my second year. When I differentiated between science and engineering, I was doing so in terms of problem solving. They solve problems differently, since they inherently have different problems to solve. Engineering problems are very tedious, and very boring to me. Although I just finished mid terms and I'm not pace to get another 3.9 this semester, I just don't want to stay in here. I can't wait until next semester where I'll be taking "pure" science courses again. They were much more enjoyable, to me.