Switching from Family Medicine to ObGyn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpower06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently matched in Family Medicine but have always wanted to do ObGyn. I had to double apply because of my low step 1 score (197). I am considering entering the match again this coming cycle.

1. Does anyone know how are re-applicants viewed differently after having months of experience as a FM intern?
2. Does the step 1 score still weigh the same?
3. Will I continue to be filtered out based on low step 1 or will months of experience as an intern be taken into consideration?
4. If I do not match into Obgyn for a second time, will I lose my Family Medicine spot or will I be able to return to my FM program?

Thank you and any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I recently matched in Family Medicine but have always wanted to do ObGyn. I had to double apply because of my low step 1 score (197). I am considering entering the match again this coming cycle.

1. Does anyone know how are re-applicants viewed differently after having months of experience as a FM intern?
2. Does the step 1 score still weigh the same?
3. Will I continue to be filtered out based on low step 1 or will months of experience as an intern be taken into consideration?
4. If I do not match into Obgyn for a second time, will I lose my Family Medicine spot or will I be able to return to my FM program?

Thank you and any help is appreciated!
1. Re-applicants are generally viewed worse than 1st time applicants
2. Yeah the Step score is still gonna hold you back
3. See 1 and 2
4. Are you in a categorical position? I dont think you would lose it but getting time off for interviews may be difficult.

Why not FM + OB?

Is this a legit question or is this April 1st? :confused:

Reactions: 1 user
There are OB fellowships with FM.