Switching from Guard to Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enkidu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a medical student in the guard and my obligation comes entirely from ROTC. I'm probably going to go into pathology, which the guard doesn't seem to have any slots for, and I think won't be able to support me with any incentives.

If I do end up going into pathology, is it problematic to switch to a reserve unit where there might actually be a pathology slot?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a medical student in the guard and my obligation comes entirely from ROTC. I'm probably going to go into pathology, which the guard doesn't seem to have any slots for, and I think won't be able to support me with any incentives.

If I do end up going into pathology, is it problematic to switch to a reserve unit where there might actually be a pathology slot?

I do not think it will be a problem - make sure everything is in iPERMS before you do make any discussion of switching. On the reserve side of things (NG or AR) there is a passive-aggressive behavior that ensues once the discussion is initiated.

Interested to learn about this as well (in general) - Im going into surgery but i have only observed improperly utilized surgeons and all have gotten out ASAP, reserves seems from the outside, a little better.

Depends on your state, since the NG is state run/funded and AR or RA is federal. It is possible but the guard unit would have to release you. Form DD 368

Also a valid unit vacancy in the reserve must exist.

Since you also have an ROTC obligation it may be easier to try Active duty (just my initial thought)

Army Recruiter

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on your state, since the NG is state run/funded and AR or RA is federal. It is possible but the guard unit would have to release you. Form DD 368

Also a valid unit vacancy in the reserve must exist.

Since you also have an ROTC obligation it may be easier to try Active duty (just my initial thought)

Army Recruiter

Cant be that hard especially since most seem to go to a different state for residency after school? Regardless, there is some form of transfer and many states' NG's are in enough financial trouble as is.