Switching from IM Categorical to Rads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs2006

student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently an intern at a Top 10 to 15 Medical School and am currently frustrated with my career choice of IM. I went into it originally because I liked the cerebral aspect of it, but am now fed up with spending my day dealing with social admits, endless paperwork, and pts with non IM active medical problems being dumped on the medicine service, etc and have been considering switching to rads despite its downsides of insane liability/litigation and possibility that my job as a radiologist could be shipped to a foreign country if the financial benefit of doing so is realized by this current broken healthcarte system which may very well end up being reformed in the next few years. Anyway, enough rambling-- I just wanted to know if anyone here has any experience regarding switiching specialties doing internship, and if so how does one go about finding any pgy2 vacancies and applying for those spots? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Disillusioned by medicine

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if there is any sort of clearinghouse for open PGY 2 spots, but you'll sometimes see them advertised on the auntminnie forums. There was an open spot at Baylor mentioned last month.

That would be a better place to post your story as well, as you may get more hits than here on SDN.

i agree. when our program needed to fill two spots, aunt minnie was the route that the program took b/c so few other clearinghouses that residents use. spots do open up, you just have to be vigilant. sorry to hear you don't like IM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever they said...and BTW:

Our job as a radiologist will not be shipped over seas....well the crappy part might. Imagine a world where during the normal work day I read films like usual. Then, when night rolls around I dont want any call....that crap gets sent to India. Sure, we might take a tiny paycut, but IMO its worth it for the sleep filled nights I dont have to worry about anything.

It can only get better (and I don't necessarily mean pay higher)...

Whatever they said...and BTW:

Our job as a radiologist will not be shipped over seas....well the crappy part might. Imagine a world where during the normal work day I read films like usual. Then, when night rolls around I dont want any call....that crap gets sent to India. Sure, we might take a tiny paycut, but IMO its worth it for the sleep filled nights I dont have to worry about anything.

It can only get better (and I don't necessarily mean pay higher)...

I don't like call at night, but I hate more the idea of having any significant amount of readings done overseas. Let them get a foothold and they will try to grab as much as they can. Look at what has happened in the manufacturing and IT fields and soon accounting. Look at what has happened when more privileges have been given to NP's, PA's, and CRNA's. It's a race to the bottom. We have to resist immediate gratification at the expense of long-term prospects for the field.

Last edited: