Switching from IM to Surgery; Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lhurlb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medicare Direct Graduate Medical Education (DGME) Payments
Question:

I am a DO resident, PGY1, tracked in Internal Medicine. I decided to change to General Surgery. I was accepted to surgery and I received my contract. I signed it and before it was received by the surgery program, they called me and stated that they didn't realize that I was IM tracked and they could not fund me for my fourth and fifth year. My program director stated that he already has interviews for my PGY2 spot in Internal Medicine and he would allow me to interview for my spot back but he will not change my contract to a Traditional Rotating Intern, even though I meet the requirements. He stated that it would be illegal to do so. The Surgery Residency stated that they typically will change the contract for their residents so they can go on to be fully funded. It just needs to be changed before the completion of the first year. I have until Friday before the Surgery position is giving away my position and I already essentially lost my position here in Internal Medicine.

Question: Does anybody know if it is really illegal for my program in Michigan to change my contract title to a Traditional Rotating Intern?

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.