Switching from Pharmacy to Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent2ist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently finishing P1 in pharmacy school. I'm considering switching to dentistry because I find it a lot more interesting. I volunteered at a dental clinic and found it a lot more exciting. If only I had shadowed a dentist before, I probably might have chosen dentistry from the start. So here is my dilemma:

I was accepted to a pharmacy school and am top 10% of my class right now. My concern is that I was accepted with a 2.6 gpa & 99% PCAT (clearly I wasn't as focused in college but I was able to do really well on my PCAT)

Is it possible to gain admission into dental school while pursuing P2? I would like to continue my pharmacy school education until I have an acceptance from a dental school; I have to take the DAT but if I score well (>20AA), is there any chance of being admitted into dental school with my GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently finishing P1 in pharmacy school. I'm considering switching to dentistry because I find it a lot more interesting. I volunteered at a dental clinic and found it a lot more exciting. If only I had shadowed a dentist before, I probably might have chosen dentistry from the start. So here is my dilemma:

I was accepted to a pharmacy school and am top 10% of my class right now. My concern is that I was accepted with a 2.6 gpa & 99% PCAT (clearly I wasn't as focused in college but I was able to do really well on my PCAT)

Is it possible to gain admission into dental school while pursuing P2? I would like to continue my pharmacy school education until I have an acceptance from a dental school; I have to take the DAT but if I score well (>20AA), is there any chance of being admitted into dental school with my GPA?
Sadly with a 2.6 gpa you probably won't get into schools, even with a 23+ AA. People usually suggest a post bacc. But man you're already in pharmacy and you are done a quarter of your education. I dont think it's smart to switch like this unless you have a GOOD EXCUSE to give to the adcoms. If you fail or drop your gpa in P2 because of your DAT studies and then not ending up being admitted to dental the year after, you'll only be harming yourself.

Just tough it out on pharm and get a nice job in 3 years. That's what I'd do anyways.

Reactions: 4 users
Sadly with a 2.6 gpa you probably won't get into schools, even with a 23+ AA. People usually suggest a post bacc. But man you're already in pharmacy and you are done a quarter of your education. I dont think it's smart to switch like this unless you have a GOOD EXCUSE to give to the adcoms. If you fail or drop your gpa in P2 because of your DAT studies and then not ending up being admitted to dental the year after, you'll only be harming yourself.

Just tough it out on pharm and get a nice job in 3 years. That's what I'd do anyways.

If I did a postbacc and got my GPA to a 3.0, would that be enough? I would have to do an informal one, probably take online classes. The reason my GPA for undergrad. is that low is because I did pretty poorly on pre-reqs. and failed organic chemistry 3 times before passing it the 4th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finish the 1st year pharm as good as you can, that should bring your GPA up somewhat, then take a year off, study and ace the DAT; apply broadly you should get in somewhere

If I did a postbacc and got my GPA to a 3.0, would that be enough? I would have to do an informal one, probably take online classes. The reason my GPA for undergrad. is that low is because I did pretty poorly on pre-reqs. and failed organic chemistry 3 times before passing it the 4th.
The current average of an accepted student nationally is 3.55 oGPA, 3.46 sGPA. You would have to get that 2.6 up to 3.0 to have any chance at all, and then also kill the DAT. The good performance in pharm school will be a positive thing, but you will be scrutinized for switching. I imagine the DAT will go well given your PCAT performance.

It's a tough, risky road you have ahead of you. You would have to do postbacc full-time (drop out of pharm school). No school will overlook a 2.6. The worst case scenario is you can't gain acceptance to dental school. That would be a really tough spot to be in, especially knowing you would have already started a career as a pharmacist by that point. I can't imagine pharmacy schools accepting you if you were to reapply. I'm not sure what advice to give you, but good luck with whatever you decide!

Edit: Thought about this more. Online, part-time postbacc might work. Doing that concurrently with pharm school, and maintaining both GPAs, will be difficult. It would also take a long time to get your GPA up doing it that way. You'd also be going into more unnecessary debt with the extra years of pharm school. Tricky.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Finish pharmacy school. If you actually want to be a dentist you can consider dental school after. Dropping out of pharmacy school just to go and do a post-bacc doesn't make sense imho

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Dentistry is out of reach for you. If you're doing so well in pharmacy maybe pursue a clinical residency where you will be doing more interesting stuff! Or like people said above, do well in pharmacy school and graduate. Then apply to dental school. Really expensive and long path though, not sure if I'd recommend.

2.6 is far too low for that to be feasible.

Finish then work your way through school

What do you guys think about doing a 1 year masters program in public health & then applying to dental school?

What do you guys think about doing a 1 year masters program in public health & then applying to dental school?

An mph wouldn't help since you have a low undergrad science GPA. You would have to address this with either a postbacc or a science masters. It's going to be a really long and difficult road ahead, so be sure this is what you want to do before you drop out of pharmacy school. I would suggest calling up some dental schools and see what they have to say. If I were you, I'd just stick it out with pharmacy unless you are really really miserable. You definitely have an uphill battle to fight if you choose dentistry, but it's a great field if that's where your heart really is.

What does your performance in your pharmacy program have anything to do with your wanting to go into dentistry?

It is my understanding that you graduated with a 2.6 GPA in college. You have to start from there, and I do not recommend you even try that transition with your past grades and performance.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're getting a lot of silly advice, from people who don't really know. You've got a significantly different application than all the other biology majors, a great story (if you can spin it right), and a different perspective.

You don't have to drop out of pharm to apply to dental. Take the DAT, absolutely kill it like you did the PCAT, and apply. Plus you're top 10% in your class right now. That shows some smarts. Do it all while still in pharm school, just in case.

Also, call a few programs you are interested in, make sure they don't have an absolute minimum GPA.

Schools like to see people who have more to add to the class.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
You're getting a lot of silly advice, from people who don't really know. You've got a significantly different application than all the other biology majors, a great story (if you can spin it right), and a different perspective.

You don't have to drop out of pharm to apply to dental. Take the DAT, absolutely kill it like you did the PCAT, and apply. Plus you're top 10% in your class right now. That shows some smarts. Do it all while still in pharm school, just in case.

Also, call a few programs you are interested in, make sure they don't have an absolute minimum GPA.

Schools like to see people who have more to add to the class.

Best of luck.

On the other hand, dental schools could also see OP as flaky, as someone who doesn't think through their decisions, and is unsure of what their passion really is.

Just saying.

On the other hand, dental schools could also see OP as flaky, as someone who doesn't think through their decisions, and is unsure of what their passion really is.

Just saying.

But, they usually don't see it that way. This is an applicant who has life experiences beyond their biology degree. Adcoms do not look down on career-changers, because it takes a great amount of commitment and risk to leave what one has to pursue what one wants.

If OP doesn't want to sound flaky, they sure better be able to nail "why dentistry?"

But, they usually don't see it that way. This is an applicant who has life experiences beyond their biology degree. Adcoms do not look down on career-changers, because it takes a great amount of commitment and risk to leave what one has to pursue what one wants.

If OP doesn't want to sound flaky, they sure better be able to nail "why dentistry?"

Paying 2 years of tuition for pharm school without getting a degree is irresponsible.

Reactions: 8 users
We all have our own opinions of your situation, but the opinions that actually matter are those of admissions committees. I suggest e-mailing some dental school admissions directors with a well crafted inquiry detailing your situation, what you hope to do, and ask for their advice. That's the only way you will know.

I always encourage people to follow their dreams. So, yeah take the dat this summer, excel in it, and apply to as many schools as possible.
If you get accepted, cool, you achieved the dream.
If you didn't get accepted, well then, try again after you graduate from pharmacy school. There is no sense in trying again and spending more money when you know the real culprit is your gpa However, with a pharmacy degree, it's different; that is if we assumed you still want to be a dentist after pharmacy school!

In the end, it's your life and your choices. We only live once, so we better live it right!

So, what are you waiting for, go get the dat materials, the time is ticking! Try to take the test in end of July to give yourself at least 2 months for preparing.

How has only one other poster mentioned the financial irresponsibility of this decision?

Pharmacy school isn't cheap. Even if he drops out immediately, there's one year of tuition down the drain and loans that are accumulating interest.

It's one thing to find that the OP simply hates pharmacy (which would be odd considering I'm pretty sure you need to have some sort of shadowing/clinical experience before applying to pharm schools), but he just said he likes dentistry more. Not sure if that's really worth financially crippling yourself without even the guarantee of getting into dental school

OP, can you see yourself as a happy pharmacist in the future? If yes, why risk your current situation only because you feel that you find dentistry more interesting? (If not, then you certainly have the right to switch). I'm not a dentist yet, but I know there will be days when my back, hands, or mind will feel like they will give out any second. Moreover, I find many aspects of pharmacy or medicine more interesting or enjoyable than dentistry, but it doesn't make me mull my decision to enter dental school later this year. I'm not trying to dissuade you, but I think you need to do a bit more soul searching (shadowing, etc) to determine whether or not you really want to switch careers.

Now, I have no doubts that you'll get it into dental school. As long as you have the determination and resolve, you'll get into dental school for sure. It's not how, but a matter of when. Why when? Because even though you're currently doing well in pharmacy school, I still think most dental schools will refer to your undergrad GPA as a basis for your acceptance. At a 2.6, it's certainly low. You'll need to do some work before you'll get a decent shot for applying. The problem here is you'll need a lot of classes to make up your GPA. This could be 1-2 years depending on what you do. Not sure how you can handle this while in pharmacy school or if it's even worth the risk to drop out of pharmacy school to do so. And that's all on top of the debt accruing from that one year of pharmacy school. In the end, the decision is completely up to you. I can probably bet you'll have to wait a couple years, give or take, for an acceptance to dental school. I agree with @Str82th and @ThirdMolarz... a few people will think you're crazy, but I think most will consider your desire to switch paths commendable. I would inquire dental adcoms for advice tailored for you.

Paying 2 years of tuition for pharm school without getting a degree is irresponsible.

Hmm, I think being irresponsible can differ from person to person, and I don't consider it irresponsible if he's happy with his end goal.
Consider myself. I had more or less average stats (3.35 oGPA, 21AA DAT, and nothing extraordinary with ECs, etc) and applied to three schools the first cycle. Second time around, I boost my oGPA to 3.4 and applied to two schools...got into my state school. I'm sure many would consider applying like that reckless. But let's say I applied to NYC and got in the first time around. I would be looking at 550k+ debt compared to ~180k now. Even though I will have a degree from NYC, is that irresponsible as well? Worth the wait if you asked me.

Last edited:
OP, can you see yourself as a happy pharmacist in the future? If yes, why risk your current situation only because you feel that you find dentistry more interesting? (If not, then you certainly have the right to switch). I'm not a dentist yet, but I know there will be days when my back, hands, or mind will feel like they will give out any second. Moreover, I find many aspects of pharmacy or medicine more interesting or enjoyable than dentistry, but it doesn't make me mull my decision to enter dental school later this year. I'm not trying to dissuade you, but I think you need to do a bit more soul searching (shadowing, etc) to determine whether or not you really want to switch careers.

Now, I have no doubts that you'll get it into dental school. As long as you have the determination and resolve, you'll get into dental school for sure. It's not how, but a matter of when. Why when? Because even though you're currently doing well in pharmacy school, I still think most dental schools will refer to your undergrad GPA as a basis for your acceptance. At a 2.6, it's certainly low. You'll need to do some work before you'll get a decent shot for applying. The problem here is you'll need a lot of classes to make up your GPA. This could be 1-2 years depending on what you do. Not sure how you can handle this while in pharmacy school or if it's even worth the risk to drop out of pharmacy school to do so. And that's all on top of the debt accruing from that one year of pharmacy school. In the end, the decision is completely up to you. I can probably bet you'll have to wait a couple years, give or take, for an acceptance to dental school. I agree with @Str82th and @ThirdMolarz... a few people will think you're crazy, but I think most will consider your desire to switch paths commendable. I would inquire dental adcoms for advice tailored for you.

Hmm, I think being irresponsible can differ from person to person, and I don't consider it irresponsible if he's happy with his end goal.
Consider myself. I had more or less average stats (3.35 oGPA, 21AA DAT, and nothing extraordinary with ECs, etc) and applied to three schools the first cycle. Second time around, I boost my oGPA to 3.4 and applied to two schools...got into my state school. I'm sure many would consider applying like that reckless. But let's say I applied to NYC and got in the first time around. I would be looking at 600k+ debt compared to ~180k now. Even though I will have a degree from NYC, is that irresponsible as well? Worth the wait if you asked me.

It is irresponsible applying to a school you have no intentions of dishing out the dough for. applying to only your state schools is the opposite of irresponsible. I am curious what in the world your story has to do with OP, completely different situations. Dude is about to pay for 2 years of pharmacy school and get halfway there without actually getting the degree.

the OP probably reads up on the pharmacy saturation but is willing to tolerate the dentistry saturation problem.

you are in a pharmacy school, in which you are technically pursuing your own passion in pharmacy. how you even have time to explore, and realize the sudden onset passion for dentistry?

It is irresponsible applying to a school you have no intentions of dishing out the dough for. applying to only your state schools is the opposite of irresponsible. I am curious what in the world your story has to do with OP, completely different situations. Dude is about to pay for 2 years of pharmacy school and get halfway there without actually getting the degree.

It's irresponsible to apply to a school one has no intentions of dishing out the dough for? This contradicts a lot of advice you (I'm assuming this) and many others here give to prospective applicants asking for potential school lists. I mean, I seen like three threads this cycle already about applicants considering to apply again because their only acceptance was NYU (even saw one considering dropping out of D1 at NYU to reapply again at a state school, IIRC). What I'm saying is that I could easily have been in this situation. The thought of graduating with 550k+ of loans scares the **** out of me, and heck I would no doubt be miserable as a student at NYU and maybe even contemplate about dropping out too. For all I know, I got pretty lucky to have been accepted to my state school after two tries (though I waited three years due to an application mishap early on). Pretty sure you or some other person would scold the living hell out of me for only applying to my state school and the school next door when my stats were below my state school averages. Of course my story is completely different from the OP, but the gist is similar. If he wants to quit pharmacy just because, then okay, that's kind of reckless. But he has another goal and if he comes up on top and far better off, how is he being irresponsible about it? I mean the OP could have done/think things a bit differently maybe, but not so much in as being irresponsible if he's able to see the better things in life. So wasteful? Yes, probably. But irresponsible, probably not.

It's irresponsible to apply to a school one has no intentions of dishing out the dough for? This contradicts a lot of advice you (I'm assuming this) and many others here give to prospective applicants asking for potential school lists. I mean, I seen like three threads this cycle already about applicants considering to apply again because their only acceptance was NYU (even saw one considering dropping out of D1 at NYU to reapply again at a state school, IIRC). What I'm saying is that I could easily have been in this situation. The thought of graduating with 550k+ of loans scares the **** out of me, and heck I would no doubt be miserable as a student at NYU and maybe even contemplate about dropping out too. For all I know, I got pretty lucky to have been accepted to my state school after two tries (though I waited three years due to an application mishap early on). Pretty sure you or some other person would scold the living hell out of me for only applying to my state school and the school next door when my stats were below my state school averages. Of course my story is completely different from the OP, but the gist is similar. If he wants to quit pharmacy just because, then okay, that's kind of reckless. But he has another goal and if he comes up on top and far better off, how is he being irresponsible about it? I mean the OP could have done/think things a bit differently maybe, but not so much in as being irresponsible if he's able to see the better things in life. So wasteful? Yes, probably. But irresponsible, probably not.

I actually campaign against applying to expensive private schools. Personally If my only choice were one of those private school I might not have gone. There are many schools that give instate after a year. So sure I would scold you for applying to only 1-2 schools when theres another 5 that might cost slightly more after obtaining instate tuition is considered.

About 90% of people are saying he should get his PharmD. Im one of them.

Think of pharmacy school as a post bacc on steroids. With pharmacology and concepts, however rudimentary, of micro, physio and anatomy you will have plenty of exposure to "upper level" courses. It is hard to imagine any ds that will be impressed to see an applicant quit any professional program. They might wonder if, after starting ds, should you take Odie or Garfield to the vet, if you might not decide that vet is the wave of the future. The PCAT is not the DAT nor is it the MCAT. The "99 percentile" may have boosted your ego, but it is also clouding your judgement.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Finish pharmacy school. If still interested, apply to dental school. Do not quit.

Reactions: 3 users
I actually campaign against applying to expensive private schools. Personally If my only choice were one of those private school I might not have gone. There are many schools that give instate after a year. So sure I would scold you for applying to only 1-2 schools when theres another 5 that might cost slightly more after obtaining instate tuition is considered.

About 90% of people are saying he should get his PharmD. Im one of them.

Despite what others may say, I think it was well worth the wait to apply only to my state school. I saved at least 150k(+) by waiting than going to another school that'll give in-state tuition after a year.

That's good to know that you campaign against applying to expensive private schools. I wish people here would think twice before telling others to put NYU or any other school that'll cost 400k+ as potential backups.

Likewise, I am part of the 90% of people here saying that he should stick to his PharmD and perhaps consider dental school after some years as a pharmacist. I advised him in my earlier post to think hard about the switch. Life for him would be SO much easier if he stay on his current path. Hands down having a PharmD as a backup is better than having no degree at all. Where I disagree with you is whether or not it was irresponsible of him to drop out two years in without getting a degree. If he went into pharmacy school knowing that he didn't like pharmacy and was contemplating dentistry from the start, then that's irresponsible. But OP said he just recently, for whatever reasons, "feels" like dentistry is his true calling. Sure switching careers now isn't ideal, but who are we to say he shouldn't follow his dreams? Like I mentioned earlier, he has another plan and if he comes up on top, he could be better off.

I was somewhat in the same position, as a Biochem major wanting to stay in NYC I was thinking about switching to a business program but I'm already about to graduate from my undergrad and decided that I rather do dentistry since it has better upsides to it compared to pharmacy. You're already in Pharmacy school, so looking into dental school now is a bad idea. Graduate and earn some money. Getting the degree will build your credibility then decide to go to dental school. otherwise you won't be finishing a task and might be stuck in between if something goes bad with getting into dental school. Also Dental schools on average cost more than any other health profession so that's a huge factor.

My advice is like most people's: finish pharmacy school! I've had a lot of friends in pharmacy school, and they were much happier with pharmacy once they did their IPPEs and APPEs because they finally got to interact and help patients. (I'm assuming P1 is similar to D1 in that you are only taught didactics and maybe some fundamental pharmacy stuff, such as giving vaccines.) OP, you must have liked pharmacy enough to go through all the shadowing hours, PCAT, etc. and then apply for pharm school. Perhaps you would enjoy the clinical side of pharmacy more? If so, then maybe hospital pharmacy is more for you. Once you get to rotations in P4 or something, maybe it can give you better insight.

Should you still find yourself more interested in dental school after graduating from pharm school, then I encourage you to apply. Don't worry about your age or anything. There is always a chance for you. One of my professors (~28 years old) in my M.S. program got her Pharm.D and her MS (alumna from my same program); after the school year was over, she went to med school because she realized what she really wanted. Keep in mind she had worked several years as a pharmacist while also being a professor so she definitely has the experience and time for reflection needed to make the decision to go back to school.

Last edited:
I was somewhat in the same position, as a Biochem major wanting to stay in NYC I was thinking about switching to a business program but I'm already about to graduate from my undergrad and decided that I rather do dentistry since it has better upsides to it compared to pharmacy. You're already in Pharmacy school, so looking into dental school now is a bad idea. Graduate and earn some money. Getting the degree will build your credibility then decide to go to dental school. otherwise you won't be finishing a task and might be stuck in between if something goes bad with getting into dental school. Also Dental schools on average cost more than any other health profession so that's a huge factor.

I see your point and its true I did work at a pharmacy before choosing to enter the field but I think that decision mostly goes down to me not really satisfied with the field but chose it because I hadn't really thought about other options; it seemed okay at the time that since I was content working at a pharmacy that pharmacy school would be okay. I feel like I will regret it once I graduate. I was able to get more shadowing hours at a nearby dental clinic and really feel its the true fit for me. Many of you advised me to complete the pharmd. degree since it holds value but would it be worth it if I don't enjoy it at all? Also, if I got my gpa upto a 3.0, would the expensive schools like NYU and Tufts be in reach given I did well on the DAT?

Finish pharmacy school. I think if you perform very well, many adcoms will overlook the GPA because you will have already demonstrated the ability to handle upper level science courses.
Who knows, maybe they'll give you a discount if you agree to teach the pharmacology course :rolleyes:

I had a classmate that had a 2.8 science GPA, went to pharm school 1st semester but dropped out in the middle with all W's because his stepfather died. The school gave him a 1 year of absence. Fate hit him and decided pharmacy was no longer for him, he shadowed many dentists while also he studied for DAT and got 25. Then he enrolled into a graduate GSBS program at Rutgers Piscatway and got a 3.5 masters GPA in all his biology classes. He is one of my classmates at NYU now. He got accepted to Buffalo but he turned that down. I can ask him more info but from he said the admissions committee never gave him problems maybe because of the family reason. Maybe it's also because he did well in the grad program at Rutgers consisting of difficult classes including physiology, pharmacology, and cell biology. These masters program in biomedical sciences especially the non-thesis ones are not like the regular masters programs. The non-thesis are stringy with As, while the thesis programs are known for grade inflation. If you don't like your pharmacy program why don't you just drop out now and take additional masters classes or upper level informal classes in pharmacology? Like my undergrad had 8 different undergrad major courses in pharmacology. Since you already learned pharmacology the first time and got an A, you can pad your GPA with more As and get the GPA as close to 2.8 as possible. I heard at NYU the cut off is at 2.75. But make sure your DAT is at least a 22.

@dent2ist

I would agree with many of the commenters above. Go ahead and continue your pharmacy studies to increase your gpa and demonstrate a strong hold on higher level science courses. Make sure you study well for your DAT and start doing some activities on the side if you can that are dental related. Even if it's just a few hours a week, it will help. I think you being a career changer for the right reasons will make for an interesting personal statement and interview. Given an upward trend in your gpa and DAT of 20-21+, you have a fair shot! Good luck to you!

+1 for finishing pharm school. I've got classmates in my dental class that are 40 years old with 6 kids (heaven knows how he can stay awake through lecture). You'll have plenty of time to explore your pharm career and see if dentistry is still something you want to do.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using SDN mobile

I see your point and its true I did work at a pharmacy before choosing to enter the field but I think that decision mostly goes down to me not really satisfied with the field but chose it because I hadn't really thought about other options; it seemed okay at the time that since I was content working at a pharmacy that pharmacy school would be okay. I feel like I will regret it once I graduate. I was able to get more shadowing hours at a nearby dental clinic and really feel its the true fit for me. Many of you advised me to complete the pharmd. degree since it holds value but would it be worth it if I don't enjoy it at all? Also, if I got my gpa upto a 3.0, would the expensive schools like NYU and Tufts be in reach given I did well on the DAT?

Damn lol I feel like I'm listening to myself. I don't mean any offense to you on that but I felt the same exact way for Pharmacy school. I looked up Dental school requirements and their slightly more difficult. I don't know about tufts, but NYU's average GPA is around 3.4ish with an average or 20-21 on the DAT which is 90-95th percentile. But I can't truly say that's what you need to be honest everyone is different and they they might look at you as a different type of candidate/applicant which might get you in. I haven't even taken the DAT yet. I'm just about to finish up my last year as an undergrad. I have yet to completely prepare for the DAT because I'm trying to prep for PCHEM (lol). TBH like nateriver said really look into it since its a big decision. You already have undergrad + pharmacy school loans. If you really made you're mind up ask different questions, look at your own situation.

Damn lol I feel like I'm listening to myself. I don't mean any offense to you on that but I felt the same exact way for Pharmacy school. I looked up Dental school requirements and their slightly more difficult. I don't know about tufts, but NYU's average GPA is around 3.4ish with an average or 20-21 on the DAT which is 90-95th percentile. But I can't truly say that's what you need to be honest everyone is different and they they might look at you as a different type of candidate/applicant which might get you in. I haven't even taken the DAT yet. I'm just about to finish up my last year as an undergrad. I have yet to completely prepare for the DAT because I'm trying to prep for PCHEM (lol). TBH like nateriver said really look into it since its a big decision. You already have undergrad + pharmacy school loans. If you really made you're mind up ask different questions, look at your own situation.

Are you also applying to pharmacy schools?

Tough situation, assuming you have loans from your first yr of pharm school as well, deff take that into consideration before doing anything hasty. Are you certain that you truly dont wanna be a pharmacist? or is it maybe you just dont like pharm school, 3 more years and you could be chilling, deff really really think this through... Best of luck, cheers :D

Your right. It seems like the best route to take from here is to finish up pharmacy school.

do not finish something that you hate or not gonna work your whole life, why pay to finish pharmacy if you are not sure about being a pharmacist. Take a leave of absence for 1 year, then study DAT and apply for dental school, you can always come back after 1 year if still want to be a pharmacist

Are you also applying to pharmacy schools?

No, But I thought about Pharmacy school until this year/semester. Until I started working in retail Pharmacy as a Pharm tech and watched what the pharmacist does, that's when I kind of understood that I didn't want to Pharmacy.

Not to be rude or anything, but I was told the PCAT is pretty easy. Now, DAT is challenging right next to the MCAT (I took both and found DAT to be a bit more as it is in more detail)
Your undergrad GPA is very low but I think that might not be a concern since you are a P1. Now, you have 2 huge challenges - score well on DAT and the fact that you are in pharmacy school and changing your mind after P1. It does not show commitment to where you are but also what keeps you from saying the same when you are in dental school ? - This is their thinking as they looked down on me after I took my MCAT! I had excellent stats but was not able to get to some schools because of the MCAT on my file.
Now, your DAT, it requires atleast 2 months of dedicated study, which I really doubt you have in P1.
So, please don't make a hasty,crazy decision and screw up something good in your life. (if you do want dentistry that bad, I have heard of people finishing pharmacy school and jumping to dental school)
Is the bird in hand, worth 2 in a bush ?

do not finish something that you hate or not gonna work your whole life, why pay to finish pharmacy if you are not sure about being a pharmacist. Take a leave of absence for 1 year, then study DAT and apply for dental school, you can always come back after 1 year if still want to be a pharmacist
And if he gets into dental school and wishes he could go back to pharmacy?