Switching from PhD in Chemistry to PharmD???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemistpharmd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really need advice from pharmacists, or people who might have the same experience.
I am currently a second year PhD student in Chemistry.
It takes at least 3 more years for me to get my PhD ( if every things works out perfectly), and even after that I may end up going to Post Doc ( the salary is around 40k). If I find a job, my salary will be 80k roughly.
Last year, I decided to apply to Pharmacy schools because I love being a pharmacist. I love having interaction with people daily. Also PharmD program is only 4 years, and you have more job opportunities than a chemist.
I am accepted now to the Pharmacy schools that I have applied to; however, I cannot still decide if I am making the right choice or not?
Do you think that I should quit my PhD program and go to pharmacy school?
I am having a hard time to make this life changing decision.

Members don't see this ad.

If income was a concern for you, why did you choose PhD? That's part of the reason I didn't choose a PhD - the income is too unreliable, and I have people to take care of (the more major part was I get frustrated easily when it comes to research even though I think it's interesting). Correct me if I'm wrong - as a chemistry PhD, do you have an opportunity to go into industry that would generate more income?
Have you ever worked in a pharmacy (retail/hospital)?
How many years do you expect to be working? (I ask this because someone who becomes a pharmacist at age 40 probably wouldn't expect to work 35 years, the same way someone who graduated at 30 would). You probably don't have loans as a PhD student; to be a pharmacist you'll owe somewhere between 150k - 200k on average (including cost of living). Your first 5-10 years (depending on how aggressive you are with loans/how much you owe) you won't really enjoy your 6-figure income (don't forget tax!), as most of that will go towards loans. You will only reap the rewards after that initial 5-10 years. Do you think it'll be worth it?
Then there's the question of saturation in pharmacy. I'm sure as a PhD it's not easy to find jobs, but at least you won't have loans to pay off. That was my worst fear ever, not having a job while having that 150k hanging over my head... sure you can defer loans while unemployed, but that just prolongs the misery.

Also, keep in mind that the vast majority of the jobs for PharmDs are in retail. The setting for a retail pharmacist is very different than that for a chemist.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would check the job market in your area first. However, if you’re willing to move for a job, then go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If income was a concern for you, why did you choose PhD? That's part of the reason I didn't choose a PhD - the income is too unreliable, and I have people to take care of (the more major part was I get frustrated easily when it comes to research even though I think it's interesting). Correct me if I'm wrong - as a chemistry PhD, do you have an opportunity to go into industry that would generate more income?
Have you ever worked in a pharmacy (retail/hospital)?
How many years do you expect to be working? (I ask this because someone who becomes a pharmacist at age 40 probably wouldn't expect to work 35 years, the same way someone who graduated at 30 would). You probably don't have loans as a PhD student; to be a pharmacist you'll owe somewhere between 150k - 200k on average (including cost of living). Your first 5-10 years (depending on how aggressive you are with loans/how much you owe) you won't really enjoy your 6-figure income (don't forget tax!), as most of that will go towards loans. You will only reap the rewards after that initial 5-10 years. Do you think it'll be worth it?
Then there's the question of saturation in pharmacy. I'm sure as a PhD it's not easy to find jobs, but at least you won't have loans to pay off. That was my worst fear ever, not having a job while having that 150k hanging over my head... sure you can defer loans while unemployed, but that just prolongs the misery.
I have never worked in a pharmacy before. I asked several places for shadowing but they said they do not do that anymore.
I will get my PharmD in 2022 when I'll be 29 years old with around 60k loan. Do you think that I am making the right decision?

I have never worked in a pharmacy before. I asked several places for shadowing but they said they do not do that anymore.
I will get my PharmD in 2022 when I'll be 29 years old with around 60k loan. Do you think that I am making the right decision?

You are not making the right decision. You have not worked in any pharmacy setting yet claim you love it plus the interaction with people. Do you know what the interaction consists of a majority of the time? Be a cash register associate in the ‘return items’ aisle on a good day and you’ll get an idea.

Majority of your courses you will never use. Find Biochemistry fascinating your first couple of semesters? Great..won’t ever use it...with your background you’ll feel unfulfilled.

Echoing the comments above. You knew the salary getting a PhD, why try for pharmD? Have you calculated how much you get taxed at a min six figure salary? On top of “any loans” you think you’ll have? Convince me 60k is all you need after COL with tuition with books/lab fees with food with transportation with “LIFE” emergencies that are bound to happen at least once in 4 years.

Point is you didn’t do your homework. You saw the salary, knew you qualified academically, and ignored the saturation and limited position you may find yourself in.

“If you question if you’ll hate it don’t do it.”

Tl;dr: do your homework. Easier ways to make money than investing additional years of your life in something you know nothing about.

Reactions: 2 users
Apply as a tech at one of the big chains and see how it is for yourself. All the pharmacists I knew were stressed all the time, never could eat lunch, and only took a bathroom break when they were about to piss themselves. They used to joke about how they should strap a urinary leg bag at all times. Also, It's definitely not easy if you're a woman and want to start a family.

Reactions: 1 user