switching from pre-dental to pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fakedoctor123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been thinking about this for a while now and have finally decided to switch from dentistry into medicine. I'm a 3rd year right now at UCI, with a 3.9 GPA, and substantive dental volunteering hours. I was going to apply to dental school this June, but am now deciding to take my MCATs instead.

I am just wondering if it will look weird if I have over 300 hours of dental volunteering experience on my med application. I've been to numerous humanitarian missions in different countries, but they have all been dental related as well. I volunteer at the dental clinic once a week, and am about to be a manager at the dental clinic. Do you guys think I should stop all dental related activities and focus more towards medical related ones?

I would like some input on this,

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you have a good explanation as to why you changed your mind and you get in some clinical work/shadowing I don't see why it would hinder you.

You aren't going to apply to MD schools this cycle anyway. Slowly switch your dental activities to medical activities, and prepare well for the MCAT. You will have a fine MD application for the 2015-2016 cycle.