Switching from Surgery to IM -> Cards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slapmypanda

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all,

Long time lurker with my first post.

I'm an MS3 in the middle of my rotations. Throughout med school, I have always wanted to do surgery. However, now on my surgery rotation, I may be realizing that I like surgery but not LOVE it like the residents or attendings do. I find surgery and anatomy incredibly interesting, but I don't seem to have that insatiable appetite that keeps me in the OR long into the night.

In the back of my mind, I have considered a procedural specialty like Cards -- I find the physiology fascinating. I even enjoyed and did quite well on my medicine rotation. My preceptor introduced me to the attendings of the cath lab, and I thought it was absolutely amazing to see such an immediate tangible effect of your work, much like surgery.

My first question is, with a switch this late in the game, could I match at a decent IM program that can set me up for cards? My stats are:
Top 25 USMD with strong in-house program
Step 1 235
Clinical grades: So far half H (including IM), half HP. AOA unlikely
Research: 15 abstracts/posters and 4 manuscripts in print. But none are in general IM or cards
Would love to go to a Top 25 IM program but I know my step 1 is merely average. I underperformed quite a bit; hopefully there is improvement on step 2.

My second question is, and perhaps is more niche: for those who decided to switch away from surgery, do you ever regret it? Do you regret not being able to cut, sew, and stitch?
What’s the difference between see and stitch?

Members don't see this ad :)
Make the switch. It's never too late as a 3rd year. One of my colleagues did a whole medicine residency and then switched into ortho - that is too late and horrible.

Your Step 1 is ok, but indeed may hold you back from the top programs. Nail Step 2 CK and try to Honor all your remaining rotations. Do a sub-I in IM early to get an Honors and top notch LOR before submitting ERAS. Will be key.

My concern for you is: are you sure you want to do cards or any IM specialty? Yes, cards is prestigious and, if interventional, a money-maker. But, it is a grueling training process. Most of the personalities I've encountered in cards tend to be less than kind, which is just one person's experience, though something to consider. Many non-surgical fields in and outside of IM offer procedural-based careers. Choose carefully.