Switching medical speciality: from Anesthesiology to ENT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maestro87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have anybody ever switched from anesthesiology to ENT? Had two options during medical school, started anesthesiology residency which is nice and suitable (been anesthesiology resident 2,5 years), but considered also ENT. Now I had an opportunity to experience ENT for 3 months and after that have to make a decision. Have anybody done the same or considered doing it?

Members don't see this ad.

Have anybody ever switched from anesthesiology to ENT? Had two options during medical school, started anesthesiology residency which is nice and suitable (been anesthesiology resident 2,5 years), but considered also ENT. Now I had an opportunity to experience ENT for 3 months and after that have to make a decision. Have anybody done the same or considered doing it?
Is this in the US or in Finland (since your location says Hyvinkää)? I'm just asking because obviously the medical environment and healthcare system in which you'll practice (either as an anesthesiologist or ENT surgeon) is likely going to be pretty different between the US and Finland so it'd be a consideration in (1) whether or not you can switch and (2) whether or not you should switch.

In Finland. The reason I ask is that I like anesthesiology as a job (procedures, dealing with critical situation, being on call), but I don't have any special relation with the theoretical part of the speciality (for example physiology, pharmacology), although I know this because I have to to be successful. On the other hand ENT is my special interest in whole (anatomy, theoretical part, procedures, operations, clinic). The reason I ask is that Im good in anesthesiology and switching to ENT means that I give up the speciality in which I have been successful not knowing will I succeed in this. Switching from one to another is not a problem in Finland as I have both options. The question is latter.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much longer do you have till you finish your anesthesia residency?