Switching more to medicine...MS4 questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbrocks15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there all -

Will be dual applying IM and surgical sub-spec. I really am not enjoying my aways as much as I thought I would and have always enjoyed medicine so will dual apply. Was curious what good acadmic programs exist in the NE that are reasonable for me? I really want to go to a heavy academic institution.

My Info:
Step 1: Low/Mid 230s
Step 2: Low/Mid 240s
Honors Medicine, Peds
HP OBGYN, Surg
>20 publications
>20 poster/podium presentations
research up the wazoooo
Good leadership
Good service experience

What are your thoughts everyone?
Was thinking of Boston and NYC since I love big cities. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah you will get interviews in NYC and Boston IMO.
Apply to the major name brand ones (Columbia Cornell MGH BWH etc) and also throw in places like Montefiore, Tufts, BU, etc. If you're really interested in only those cities, would throw in Mount Sinai West, Lahey in Burlington MA, Lenox Chill (Lenox Hill) but these are more community type training programs. If you're not an ass, you will match at one of those places.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think I have a good chance at the bigger research "brand" names?
I know they have a lot of research funding and I'm looking to stay in academia

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think I have a good chance at the bigger research "brand" names?
I know they have a lot of research funding and I'm looking to stay in academia

"Research funding" just means having access to mentors who have multiple projects going on. While I understand the meaning behind your "I'm looking to stay in academia," this is a largely naive stance that many med students including myself back in the day have.

What you really mean is - will I be able to get on projects, publish, have a good CV and learn the process to getting my name out there on paper in order to 1) match well to fellowship and 2) set up opportunities to further my career from multiple fronts.

Do you have a good chance? Yes you should get some interviews at those places. No one knows how you will do until the time actually comes. We can tell you yes to make you feel good, but again you just have to let the process play out after submitting applications. Your priorities may change. Just take a look at the post history @gutonc who is one of our realest dudes on this forum - he'll probably tell you to go through with what you think you makes sense and let time tell.

Your hustle, hard work, collegiality, and being smart about finding opportunities will be more important in your career moving forward than stressing out about the name brand stuff, though name branding does help with on paper credibility.

If you don't try then you won't know, but I don think you need to apply to 60 places. 20 - 25 IM programs should be more than enough for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Also try Philadelphia, and Chicago, and UNC
You will then live in a big city with a lower cost of living

Also try Philadelphia, and Chicago, and UNC
You will then live in a big city with a lower cost of living

Chicago is not cheap... sure cheaper than NYC or SF, but everything is cheaper than those places
Philly is admittedly a little cheaper but if you want the hardcore city life it’s still relatively expensive
Other places to consider... Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Dallas - all much better price wise
That being said point is moot since OP is prob already done with this. Also my guess is like SDN mostly he has an east coast NYC bias

Reactions: 1 user