Apr 4, 2010
Status
I noticed today that a spot at NYU has opened up. Currently I am in a great ophtho program that I love in the midwest, but my wife is doing her residency up in NYC.

Do you guys think it's worth to attempt to switch, or should I just suck it up for two years and then be with my wife?

Is this sort of switch frowned upon and how legit is this reason?

Will I essentially be burning my previous bridges? Would it be not worth it to "start over"?

I guess I dont appreciate what I potentially am getting myself into before I go down this route and I would like those who have had similar experiences, or have gone through this themselves to share.

My program has stronger surgical numbers than NYU, but not the name and definitely not in a city like the big apple. thoughts if I should pursue this are appreciated.

My wife is supportive of whatever I choose, however, of course, she would prefer it if I was in NY

thanks

plasticbuddy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
I noticed today that a spot at NYU has opened up. Currently I am in a great ophtho program that I love in the midwest, but my wife is doing her residency up in NYC.

Do you guys think it's worth to attempt to switch, or should I just suck it up for two years and then be with my wife?

Will I essentially be burning my previous bridges? Would it be not worth it to "start over"?

I guess I dont appreciate what I potentially am getting myself into before I go down this route and I would like those who have had similar experiences, or have gone through this themselves to share.

My program has stronger surgical numbers than NYU, but not the name and definitely not in a city like the big apple. thoughts if I should pursue this are appreciated.

My wife is supportive of whatever I choose, however, of course, she would prefer it if I was in NY

thanks

How close are you with your program director? are they aware of your situation? how large is your program...?

Long distance relationships can be really tough and it sounds like you have a good relationship and understanding with your wife about this.

If you know your program director well, I would just ask him/her what they would do if they were in your situation... before asking I would let them know that you really do enjoy your current program and that the only reason you even bring up the topic is because your wife lives in NYC.

I hope you do well my friend!

Jul 22, 2009
Status
Medical Student
ive heard of an ENT resident leaving his program to join his ENT resident fiance at a different program

MedicalDoctorV

Internal Medicine Hospitalist
10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2007
NYC
Status
Attending Physician

thanks
Why are you worried about burning bridges? If your wife is in NYC - then shouldn't your new home be all that you're worried about. The worse thing you can do is to wait until the last minute to make your decision. Then you'll really be "screwing" your program. They still have 2.5 months to replace you if you give them due notice right now.

I don't think switching to be near a spouse is a frowned upon reason at all - I actually think it's one of the best possible reasons there is. I would definitely email the NYU program director first and get a sense of if they're interviewing others etc before you bring it up with your program director - to make sure it's still a viable option...

Best of luck.