General Admissions & OTCAS Switching OT schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm looking for a bit of advice. I got accepted into an OT school in North Dakota which begins this June. I dont know much about the program, but it is accredited, it seems legit, and the people who interviewed me seemed very welcoming and nice and with some research, I found that students at the school, but not necessarily in the program, are very happy with faculty and the school as well, which is a good sign.
That being said, I live in California so living in North Dakota will be a big change. There is another school in California that I applied to and am much more excited about but I won't hear back from them until like a month or so after the North Dakota program starts. However, the program starts online taking only 8 units, so although I will be in the program, I will still be in California, until August. The California school starts in September.
So my question is should I start at the North Dakota school (and I am fully prepared to commit to that if I do not get accepted into the California school) and if I do get accepted into the California school should I/can I switch schools?
It would only be a month or so into the North Dakota program so I don't think it would be that big of a deal if I dropped.. but at the same time I can see how that is not a nice thing to do for the ND program...
Any advice or opinions would be great!
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all.
I'm looking for a bit of advice. I got accepted into an OT school in North Dakota which begins this June. I dont know much about the program, but it is accredited, it seems legit, and the people who interviewed me seemed very welcoming and nice and with some research, I found that students at the school, but not necessarily in the program, are very happy with faculty and the school as well, which is a good sign.
That being said, I live in California so living in North Dakota will be a big change. There is another school in California that I applied to and am much more excited about but I won't hear back from them until like a month or so after the North Dakota program starts. However, the program starts online taking only 8 units, so although I will be in the program, I will still be in California, until August. The California school starts in September.
So my question is should I start at the North Dakota school (and I am fully prepared to commit to that if I do not get accepted into the California school) and if I do get accepted into the California school should I/can I switch schools?
It would only be a month or so into the North Dakota program so I don't think it would be that big of a deal if I dropped.. but at the same time I can see how that is not a nice thing to do for the ND program...
Thank you

No I don't think you should do that because you are taking someone else's spot in ND or California if you do that. OT is competitive and some people apply for 2 or more years due to the limited amount of schools that offer it. Why won't the California school notify you in March/April like every other school? If they won't let you know until June I would just go to the North Dakota school. If you think you will get into California drop your seat in ND so someone else can have it

Hi all.
Thank you
Have you tried reaching out to the CA school and explained your conundrum? They may be able to help you because I have a feeling many of their applicants have a similar issue if they notify in the summer!

Wouldn't you be taking on unnecessary debt? The financial aid you take out for ND, can it be applied to Cali? If you can't, don't do it. If you can, you'll already be out the money for the semester that began. And you may come up short transitioning to Cali with what you were given, if you can't get more. Private loans suck. Kinda comes down to what you want your financial situation to look like once finished. Just sounds messy. I could be wrong. I hate math. LoL

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user