Switching out of ophtho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalDoctorV

Internal Medicine Hospitalist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my first year in ophtho (PGY2) this past July and am seriously considering switching into another field. I am wondering what approach one takes if one has decided that ophthalmology is not going to work out and was the wrong decision. In terms of getting your program director involved, applying to ERAS, etc etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, sorry, I do not have the answers to your questions. I'm just curious (very) about why you're wanting to drop your ophtho spot and what field you'd rather be in.

WHY?? Sorry, can't help you with your questions but would like to know why you want to leave so early?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just started my first year in ophtho (PGY2) this past July and am seriously considering switching into another field. I am wondering what approach one takes if one has decided that ophthalmology is not going to work out and was the wrong decision. In terms of getting your program director involved, applying to ERAS, etc etc.

It's hard to like ophthalmology from the perspective of first year of residency: you don't know enough to feel confident, you aren't doing much surgery yet and you haven't yet been able to demonstrate enough competence to feel the satisfaction of being useful in the field. Not only can you feel like an idiot, but there may be others who make you feel as if they are turning threads into your skull to screw that Dunce cap on. Welcome to first year in a new field. You can check your experienced intern confidence at the door.

It gets better. Try to stick with it.

It's hard to like ophthalmology from the perspective of first year of residency: you don't know enough to feel confident, you aren't doing much surgery yet and you haven't yet been able to demonstrate enough competence to feel the satisfaction of being useful in the field. Not only can you feel like an idiot, but there may be others who make you feel as if they are turning threads into your skull to screw that Dunce cap on. Welcome to first year in a new field. You can check your experienced intern confidence at the door.

It gets better. Try to stick with it.

Whatever you just said - that is spot on. Thanks. Exactely how i feel. I really felt at the end of intern year that i was somewhat competent at what i did - internal medicine. You go from that to being worse than a medical student because you're not familiar w the language, instrumentation or diseases.
It almost seems easier just to finish two more years of internal medicine. Not that easier is what i'm looking for. I also just realized that it really bothers me that 90% of medical school and certainly intern year has absolutely no meaning for being an ophthalmology resident. Honestly the other field that I would consider at this stage is ER.

Hi guys, I'm new to SDN and just joined recently. Was going through all the archived postings. Just wondering Ophtho8, now that you must be in your second year, are you happy with staying the course, or did you eventually decided to switch?

EVERYONE feels that way on starting ophtho, even people who've done pre residency fellowship...(except for perhaps people who are already ophthalmologists in their home countries)...