Switching programs once you're in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lebesgue

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to switch to an MD/PhD program once you're accepted to an MD program (within the same school of course).

I've heard from some faculty that it's certainly possible, but I wanted to get opinions and/or personal experiences from the masses.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/input.

Members don't see this ad.

I switched into the MSTP during my second year of med school. At my school (UCSD), the MSTP usually saves a spot for one "in house" candidate a year, if there's money. I can't speak as to other school's policies, however.

You should meet the MSTP coordinator and program director at your school and makes inquiries. It doesn't help to be friendly with them, too.

good luck,

-mrp

Every med school in the usa will fund your PhD w/ stipend during grad school phase if you want to do PhD.

Question is whether the remainder of your MD tuition will be paid or not. This depends on your school's MSTP funding availability, school policy, etc.

There are some, for example I know 1 person at Johns Hopkins who paid MD tuition himself and still did PhD. And there are some who got into MSTP after 1st or 2nd yr at other places. It seems like the more MST slots your school has, the more likely u will get a spot and get full funding & stipend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Second cycle admission into an MD/PhD program is not only feasible, it occurs quite frequently. At my school, there are often 1-2 spots per year reserved for in house applicants. You definitely have an advantage because you have already committed to the school for the MD. In addition, you have the opportunity to do some research at the school, to procure a letter of recommendation from in-house faculty, and to get to know the admissions folks.

Good luck. :D

Great, thanks so much for the advice, it's all good news to me.

I only recently got into the research side of things, oddly enough through graduate theoretical math. So that's what I've been doing, and applying it to medicine and computational biology.

I didn't apply to the dual program since I don't have years of "bench" research and couldn't generate really strong letters about my work. I also didn't want to ruin a chance at an MD shooting for an MD/PhD and missing since I have heard it's "really competitive".

Thanks for the input, and I'd certainly welcome more.

:) :) :)