Switching to an Engineering/Computer Science Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Djax99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I’m an incoming freshman and currently I’m a bio major but I’ve been considering switching my major into comp sci or chemical engineering as a safety plan if I can’t get into med school or if I ultimately decide to switch paths from not pursuing medicine.

I’ve heard doing engineering is a bad idea as a premed and was wondering if this is actually true? Additionally, I was wondering if anyone had any experiences on being an engineering premed/how hard it actually is? Finally, do you guys recommend I make the switch to comp sci/chemE or just stick with bio and fully dedicated myself to pursuing medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

The general advice is to do something that you enjoy and that you can do well in. As someone who studied engineering, I can't really recommend it... It took me 6 years to get my bachelor's degree because the recommendation to take 18 credits per semester is not tenable (I switched from bio). I am a career changer so that doesn't even include the prerequisites for medical school, which I did during a post-bacc.

Comp sci is useful and doable if you are good at it.

The general advice is to do something that you enjoy and that you can do well in. As someone who studied engineering, I can't really recommend it... It took me 6 years to get my bachelor's degree because the recommendation to take 18 credits per semester is not tenable (I switched from bio). I am a career changer so that doesn't even include the prerequisites for medical school, which I did during a post-bacc.

Comp sci is useful and doable if you are good at it.
@Cornfed101 When did you end up switching to engineering from bio (like what year)? I’m thinking of switching to CS/engineering as an option in case I realize I don’t wanna go to med school and was wondering when is the latest I would be able to switch but still be able to graduate in around 4 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
I switched after freshman year. I think it depends on the school, but I didn't know anyone in my major (mechanical engineering) that finished in 4 years. Everyone took 5-6 years even if they started in engineering. For me to finish in 6 I had to take Spring and Summer classes for 2 years.

@Cornfed101 That’s interesting. I personally have a good amount of AP credit that I should technically be able to finish an engineering degree in like 3 years if I load up on credits but yea