• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

toby2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2003
Status (Visible)
During residency I have found that I really like Transfusion Medicine, and want to eventually practice TM exclusively. Does anybody have any info on the job market for TM? I only know what I've seen at my institution. The recent fellows here have all gotten jobs which they really enjoy. One is part-time with ARC and two others are fulltime with private blood centers. I would appreciate any additional info. Thanks!

path15

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey Toby 2 -
I think there is definitly job security with TM (unlike everything else in CP) - once you do a fellowship you can work at a BB or in academics. I don't know how much they pay, but I think the hours are nice -

DrBloodmoney

Pathology
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2002
At a microscope
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You should start adopting a bizarre personality trait now. It seems like an important thing to have if you're a BBer, judging from the ones that I have worked with.

About the Ads

toby2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2003
Status (Visible)
You should start adopting a bizarre personality trait now. It seems like an important thing to have if you're a BBer, judging from the ones that I have worked with.

Which bizarre traits do you think are most applicable to the specialty?

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I have heard sketchy things about the TM only job market. Of course if you're a researcher you can likely be competitive for an academic job. But if you're not, you're depending on private practice and industry most likely. And I haven't heard great things about these jobs - a lot seem to be based on cronyism and connections. (Rumors)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.