Switching to CP only and TM - job market?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toby2

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
During residency I have found that I really like Transfusion Medicine, and want to eventually practice TM exclusively. Does anybody have any info on the job market for TM? I only know what I've seen at my institution. The recent fellows here have all gotten jobs which they really enjoy. One is part-time with ARC and two others are fulltime with private blood centers. I would appreciate any additional info. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Toby 2 -
I think there is definitly job security with TM (unlike everything else in CP) - once you do a fellowship you can work at a BB or in academics. I don't know how much they pay, but I think the hours are nice -

You should start adopting a bizarre personality trait now. It seems like an important thing to have if you're a BBer, judging from the ones that I have worked with.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should start adopting a bizarre personality trait now. It seems like an important thing to have if you're a BBer, judging from the ones that I have worked with.

Which bizarre traits do you think are most applicable to the specialty?

I have heard sketchy things about the TM only job market. Of course if you're a researcher you can likely be competitive for an academic job. But if you're not, you're depending on private practice and industry most likely. And I haven't heard great things about these jobs - a lot seem to be based on cronyism and connections. (Rumors)