switching to IM at the last minute--Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wstcoastgrl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently decided I want to do IM (was set on surgery until now), but haven't applied to any programs at all! Is it too late? Am I stuck with the scramble? I'm thinking about trying for a GI fellowship afterwards and I'm worried about having to scramble into a program that won't get me there.

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Talk to your dean and advisor right away. I'm pretty sure most of the deadlines to apply are up, but there may be some programs left. If you can, get your dean/IM chairperson to call up programs on your behalf so that you can get interviews in this month. Check out scutwork.com for the unfilled match lists from previous years. You may have a good shot at those places. Also, even good programs will sometimes go unfilled; so, even if you have to scramble, you might get into a good program this year that will still give you a good chance to do a GI fellowship.

Good luck with everything!!

double post deleted

I agree, you should find and talk to an advisor in Internal Medicine. I don't know where you would get money to support yourself, but maybe you could do a year of GI research? Scrambling probably is a better option though.