Switching to integrated thoracic/vascular

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cvs13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a categorical PGY-2. Past 13 months I have realized that I definitely enjoy vascular and CT rotations the most. If I had known just how much I liked those fields compared to Gen Surg/Trauma, I would have applied out of med school to an integrated program. I'm not sure if this has been done beofre, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on feasibility of switching from general surgery to an integrated vascular/thoracic residency. I understand that I may be losing some years, but I'd rather spend my training dedicated to vascular or CT instead of spending time on general surgical services learning operations/procedures that I will not be doing for a career. If anyone has advice i would greatly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Timewise it probably comes out the same: 2+6 vs 5+3 traditional.

Might be tough to get one of the very few spots available since you are applying very late in the game. I bet the integrated PD's only want candidates right out of medical school as it stands since they are trying to prove that their experimental programs can really train good surgeons.

Having been through the traditional training paradigm, looking back maybe a GOOD integrated program isnt such a bad idea. I mean, its nice being a general surgeon too, but...

the time to act is now. Think twice though, I am sure you will need your current PD's approval and if you are unsuccessful at getting an integrated spot, your life can suck for the next 3 years. being known as the guy who tried to leave the program, etc..

I'm currently a categorical PGY-2. Past 13 months I have realized that I definitely enjoy vascular and CT rotations the most. If I had known just how much I liked those fields compared to Gen Surg/Trauma, I would have applied out of med school to an integrated program. I'm not sure if this has been done beofre, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on feasibility of switching from general surgery to an integrated vascular/thoracic residency. I understand that I may be losing some years, but I'd rather spend my training dedicated to vascular or CT instead of spending time on general surgical services learning operations/procedures that I will not be doing for a career. If anyone has advice i would greatly appreciate it.

Now I'm only a lowly 4th year student going into gen surg, but I heard (from a vascular fellow who flirted with CT for a while) that one can apply to CT fellowships with 3 years of gen surg training. So, based on that you could theoretically do a 3+3 without being in an integrated program. Also, my understanding is that integrated programs make you do 2.5+ of gen surg before focusing on CT/vascular, so if you were to switch after your second year, you would still end up doing 4.5-5 years of gen surg, except you would be an intern/second year resident twice (instead of being a senior).

The only way you would be saving time is if you were at a gen surg program that required two years of research.

Members don't see this ad :)
...I heard ...that one can apply to CT fellowships with 3 years of gen surg training. So, based on that you could theoretically do a 3+3 without being in an integrated program...
I don't think so...

Now I'm only a lowly 4th year student going into gen surg, but I heard (from a vascular fellow who flirted with CT for a while) that one can apply to CT fellowships with 3 years of gen surg training. So, based on that you could theoretically do a 3+3 without being in an integrated program. Also, my understanding is that integrated programs make you do 2.5+ of gen surg before focusing on CT/vascular, so if you were to switch after your second year, you would still end up doing 4.5-5 years of gen surg, except you would be an intern/second year resident twice (instead of being a senior).

The only way you would be saving time is if you were at a gen surg program that required two years of research.
I don't know a lot about thoracic, but integrated thoracic spots are new. There are some that take residents straight from medical school. Some institutions offer 4+3 but the "4" and "3" must be done at the same institution. I thought some 3+3 existed but I'm not sure.

For program specific information, one should visit their webpages. The ones I've read having 6 year or 4+3 programs are Stanford, UPenn, B&W, UT SA, UNC, Duke, Mayo, Maryland, UVa, Rochester, WashU, and MUSC.

http://www.ctsnet.org/sections/residents/residenteduc/article-.html

Integrated vascular programs each have different ways of scheduling rotations. Some programs have mostly GS rotations for 1-2 years and focus on vascular after that. Some mix and match throughout the residency and even require PGY4 GS rotations as trauma chief. Although vascular has been approved for a 3+3 or 4+2, those spots are now gone, AFAIK, in favor of 0+5.

Repeating certain rotations/years will probably depend on the structure of the vascular curriculum at a specific program. If one program has a lot of vascular rotations early on then maybe you have to repeat a year or two. Best way to find out is by going to the source.

http://www.vascularweb.org/students...ascularSurgeryTrainingOptionsandPrograms.aspx